I run a band and we have tablets that hold our music.

The band is reading the charts (music) and when I want to tell them what song is next, I don't want to have to mouth out to 10 people what song is next.

Is there an app that i can simply type a message and that message splashes onscreen to their tablets or notifies them of the message even when they're in another app to tell them what song is next?

I'm new to android so forgive my lack of knowledge.

thanks!
    11-21-2016 03:49 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Maybe try something like Popup SMS.

EDIT: Sorry, but I just realized that this won't work over Bluetooth, and your tablets are presumably not LTE enabled. Let me think about this some more.

Ok, here's another idea -- assuming all of the tablets can connect to wi-fi, you could use Hangouts to send a Hangouts IM to your band as a group. When they receive the message, they should see a banner notification with the message (although I think this requires devices with Lollipop or above), even if they're in another app.
    11-21-2016 08:40 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Maybe try something like Popup SMS.

EDIT: Sorry, but I just realized that this won't work over Bluetooth, and your tablets are presumably not LTE enabled. Let me think about this some more.

Ok, here's another idea -- assuming all of the tablets can connect to wi-fi, you could use Hangouts to send a Hangouts IM to your band as a group. When they receive the message, they should see a banner notification with the message (although I think this requires devices with Lollipop or above), even if they're in another app.
    Thank you so much for the info.

I'm new to Android.

I have 7 Insignia 10" tablets. I'm not sure what version OS they're on...I'm assuming the latest OS?

They're NOT LTE enabled. Wifi or bluetooth only.

Basically they're our bands' music books. Thats all we use them for. We use them about 2-3 times a week and each musicians has the tablet on a stand and read down their music.
    11-22-2016 01:03 PM
    To find out which version they're running, go to Settings>About Tablet>Android Version. To get to the Settings menu, swipe down the notification panel and tap the gear icon (or open the App Drawer and find the Settings icon in the alphabetical list).
    11-22-2016 05:47 PM
    I just checked a tablet and it says Android Version 6.0.1.

In regards to "Hangouts" ... the issue is that all our tablets are signed in under our Gmail account so to message the other tablets, i think that would require creating 7 different Gmail accounts to talk to all of them at once.

Still looking for a possible resolution.

If its impossible ... I'll deal with it :/
    11-22-2016 08:47 PM
    Does everyone need to log into their respective tablets with the same Google account for the purposes of your band practice? If not, can you have them all log in with their own individual Google accounts?

In the meantime, let me think about this more ...

EDIT: Ok, how about this. All of the band members log into their tablets using the group Google account, but you log into your device with a separate account (like your personal account). Then you can send a message using Hangouts to the group Google account. Sending that one message to the account should cause banner notifications to appear on all of the other devices, since they're all logged into the same account.
    11-22-2016 10:02 PM