Feature Requests

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a feature request. I have people that are only VIS some of the time depending on the situation, so I would like a way to specify that thru profiles, as in, a person is only a VIPwhen a certain profile is active. Thanks for reading this :)

I've thought about this option before... It's definitely possible to do. It's just a matter of presenting profile-based VIP options in a way that is not confusing / makes sense. I've got this on my list to look into. :)

cidorov

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Brightness

Thanks for your work on this. I especially like the use of profiles. I also use "Quick Profiles" because it allows for brightness as an option. Especially useful for low light situations like driving at night and such. Can you add the brightness option please?

opivali

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

So far I have not found a default setting for non contacts. Having a designated default that the program uses until you change things on a contact would be nice. What I seem to have is things defaulting to my first contact that I changed. I could just be missing out on a setting somewhere though.

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
So far I have not found a default setting for non contacts. Having a designated default that the program uses until you change things on a contact would be nice. What I seem to have is things defaulting to my first contact that I changed. I could just be missing out on a setting somewhere though.

Hi,

There are actually default settings within WhoIsIt that should handle non-contacts / unconfigured contacts. To get to these settings, just press your menu key and press "Preferences". From within this screen, you can setup your default options.

Hope this helps!

-Andy

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your work on this. I especially like the use of profiles. I also use "Quick Profiles" because it allows for brightness as an option. Especially useful for low light situations like driving at night and such. Can you add the brightness option please?

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into this.

-Andy

TripleBz

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello! Thanks for the great application! I have a couple of requests.

1) Could you add a way to search your contacts? I have a lot on my phone and scrolling through them to find the one I want to modify is pretty slow.

2) Could you maybe find a way to hook into LLAMA? I use this program for profile switching.

Last edited:

jimfurtado

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello! Thanks for the great application! I have a couple of requests.

1) Could you add a way to search your contacts? I have a lot on my phone and scrolling through them to find the one I want to modify is pretty slow.

2) Could you maybe find a way to hook into LLAMA? I use this program for profile switching.

I second the request for the ability to search. Please activate the search key.

Thank you.

stefanjadex

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
feature request

If you have any feature suggestions or ideas to improve WhoIsIt, please post them here.

Hello,
Very nice application. :)

I have 2 suggestions:
1. Most important - contact search
I have more than 3200 contacts and I cannot use the whitelist because a search function is missing. It is impossible to find a contact by scrolling among such a great number of contacts.

2. Important - group contacts
I would like to apply the same VIP settings for a group of contacts (by example Favorites, Business, Family, etc.)

Regards,
Stefan

glw35

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
1. Repeating Notifications - +1 on this one. For me, it's one of the most important features - Anytime I walk away from my phone for 2 minutes, someones texts me - I constantly rely on repeating notifications to catch these situations.

2. New Tasker action: "Revert to Current Profile" - Not sure what to call that, but here's the summary of what I want to accomplish. I have a Tasker profile that performs a flip to mute (or pick any 'Enter Task.') By flipping my phone over, Tasker switches to a Vibrate type Profile in WhoIsIt- Works great, but I must designate a single profile as an 'Exit Task.' Instead of doing this, I wish there was a task called something like "Current Profile" where it looks to what profile should currently be active on my phone and revert to that. I've tried to do this manually using variables, but I haven't quite made this work yet.
Or at the least, have a "revert to previous" where it exits to the same active profile before the switch/enter task.

Regardless, this is a great app - Reminds me of something similar years ago on Windows Mobile - I did not envy the dev of that app as he always struggled with features vs. stability since it did so many things as this one does. As someone mentioned earlier, my biggest feature request is actually - "Keep it stable" - and accommodate requests that make good sense for everyone including you. Keep up the good work.

Ncruze

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Very Impressive

Hello Jones,

I've tried many other apps but found myself coming back to this one, one thing i would highly suggest and i see this in most profile apps is the trigger feature? Why not have profiles initiated based on triggers like shake/external charge, AC, USB, etc.

Skiing Fool

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Can I make profile of myself?

Is there any way to configure SMS ringtones coming to me from my own cell number? I know it sounds like a strange request, but my work answering service pages me by sending text messages from their computer. For some reason, their software sets up the messages in way that it looks like their messages are coming from my phone to itself. If I try to open the contact in the message, the phone opens my own contact card! I've tried setting up my number as part of a different contact, but my phone still reverts it back to my contact card. I am using an HTC Thunderbolt and WhoIsIt version 2.8.

I'd really like to set a custom ringtone for work pages - I was thinking maybe Steely Dan's "Dirty Work." Can you help me?

awjones

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to configure SMS ringtones coming to me from my own cell number? I know it sounds like a strange request, but my work answering service pages me by sending text messages from their computer. For some reason, their software sets up the messages in way that it looks like their messages are coming from my phone to itself. If I try to open the contact in the message, the phone opens my own contact card! I've tried setting up my number as part of a different contact, but my phone still reverts it back to my contact card. I am using an HTC Thunderbolt and WhoIsIt version 2.8.

I'd really like to set a custom ringtone for work pages - I was thinking maybe Steely Dan's "Dirty Work." Can you help me?

Just add a contact entry for yourself that contains your cell phone number and then configure it within WhoIsIt like you would for any other contact. That should do the trick.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skiing Fool

Skiing Fool

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had already tried creating a contact entry called "Myself" with my mobile number. At first it didn't work - when I looked in the WhoIsIt contact list "Myself" was not there. After reading your post, I got the idea to list my mobile number as a "work" number instead of a "mobile" number. This time it worked! I wonder why it didn't like it as a "mobile" phone number?

Anyway, thank you. Now I know immediately whether it's dirty work or a friend.

Ncruze

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Announcement for Unknown SMS

There are some announcer apps that allow you to customize the announcement for unknown sms senders. I would like for whois it to announce a different message for unknown senders from the ones already in my contact book. That should be easy right?
I would really really like to have that feature!!!

Wait does this feature request box even work. Does the developer/s even take thesethings into consideration????

Goattee

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Global Notification Environment Setup Utility

I love what your app can do. But it still force closes frequently. You are good at repeating to your user base what precautions to take. But I am never sure whether my phone has been set up properly because-- unfortunately-- Android makes a user bounce all over the place to check all the possible settings. All it takes is one wrong setting and I guess WhoIsIt will keep crashing.

I would suggest that you create a utility to assist users in properly setting up their device's environment to live peacefully with WhoIsIt.

The app could be passive (just a reporting tool). Or it could actively assist the user in setting everything properly. This should reduce your support effort enormously and make your base product extremely popular.

It might work like this:
  • Scan the user's applications.
  • Display all known applications whose notifications would conflict with WhoIsIt
  • Provide option to manually and/or automatically access each app and to silence it.
  • Offer to preserve the global default notification sound and any others that don't conflict.
  • Provide a separate "audit" function that changes nothing but simply tells the user whether the environment seems to be clear-- or identifies conflicting settings.

If necessary:
Create a separate version of the app (or a separate mode) for rooted phones. Maybe this would enable your utility (or WhoIsIt itself) to take control of the notification environment when the user approves the changes.

Goattee

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Error trapping and notification

Does Android provide sufficient information so that when WhoIsIt crashes, the error dialog could specify what event triggered the crash? Or could you create a separate logging function in your app to capture this information?