Good app for using my phone as a wifi hotspot

krisy888

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the community and new to having a smart phone and I'm loving it. I'm looking for a good app to use my Droid3 as a wifi hotspot without paying the $20 extra that verizon wants. I guess I should add I'm not really wanting to root my phone yet, since I just got it, at least for a year that is. Free or not app I'm looking for some good advise on a good one when I am out and about and want to use my laptop, thanks in advance:):):)

Last edited:

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Not familiar with the Droid 3, but for many android phones it is as simple as rooting and then installing a free wifi hotspot. Check the forum for your phone and look under rooting.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you want wireless Wifi Tether then you will need to root the phone and use a third party app. Some apps might let you use wired tether without root access. But you may need to install a client on the PC or device you are using.

Coach Usrey

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you numbnuts didn't read her first post. SHE DOESN'T WANT TO ROOT! Quit telling her to do so! And quit claiming that rooting is required.
Just get off your a$$es and build an app that works.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps you numbnuts didn't read her first post. SHE DOESN'T WANT TO ROOT! Quit telling her to do so! And quit claiming that rooting is required.

Whoa whoa whoa, no need to start flaming. Sorry to inform you but most of the apps that let you tether without root access have been blocked by most of the carriers. Besides, I'm glad you think it's so easy to build apps. So easy apparently, why don't you build the next big app. Be a little bit more respectful of the other members, they're here to learn and help just like everyone. No need for your bad attitude.

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

Last edited:

sweaner

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You are right. I will get to work immediately building that Wifi app.

Now, where did I put my hammer.