I often like to use Google Maps on my computer to find directions. They have a 'Send" button so you can send the directions to a GPS unit such as a Garmin or TomTom. Is there a similar way to send it to an Android phone rather than to just email it?
    05-29-2010 09:41 AM
    You could just use Google maps on your Android Phone - or the Navigation app to do that and skip using the computer all together.
    05-29-2010 09:56 AM
    I know it's just easier and faster sometimes to use the computer. I guess emailing the link isn't that difficult, I just wondered if there was a direct link to the app.
    05-29-2010 10:09 AM
    I use the send to phone option - to send it as an SMS.
    05-29-2010 10:48 AM
    GMaps syncs data to you phone. What I mean by that is, if you are on your computer (signed into google) and you type in a location within seconds if you start typing the same address in Maps on your phone it will come up as a recently entered location.
    05-29-2010 10:55 AM
    GMaps syncs data to you phone. What I mean by that is, if you are on your computer (signed into google) and you type in a location within seconds if you start typing the same address in Maps on your phone it will come up as a recently entered location.
    That's a cool tip, that I didn't know existed.
    05-29-2010 10:56 AM
    Good ideas guys. But seeing as how Google is now in the phone business, and everything is linked through Google (gmail,contacts,calendar etc.)I think they should have a "Send to my Android Phone" button.

I also had a problem with sending an email link from the Google maps on-line to my phone. When I clicked on it and had it open in Gmaps, it couldn't find the destination address (even though it did so just fine on my desktop). I think what happens is that rather than just sending the entire route that I chose, the Android GMaps goes through the process of looking up the route itself but may not have access to as large a database as the on-line version.
    05-30-2010 07:57 AM
    Good ideas guys. But seeing as how Google is now in the phone business, and everything is linked through Google (gmail,contacts,calendar etc.)I think they should have a "Send to my Android Phone" button.
    I thought Google was bringing this with froyo. In the day 2 keynote, they had an example where you could look at a map/directions on the laptop, click a send to phone button, and the navigation popped up on the phone. Also had the same for installing apps, etc. I think they called it "intents." Or am I completely misreading what you are wanting?
    05-30-2010 08:23 AM
    Isn't this going to a be a feature in Froyo? I remember them demoing it with a browser plugin at Google IO.
    05-30-2010 08:25 AM
    Well that would be great. Hope Froyo comes to the Inc soon.
    05-30-2010 08:50 AM
    They are going to have this feature in Froyo. Along with the ability to push web pages and apps to your phone from your computer. Can't wait.
    05-30-2010 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD