Need help for: Tasker with NFC Task Launcher

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Tasker and I'd like some assistance in getting something going here.

I have a Nexus S 4G with the NFC feature, so I'm working on setting up a system of tags to change settings on an as-needed basis when I tap a tag. The NFC app does not have a setting to switch the 3G & 4G data on/off, so I'm trying to get the app to use a Tasker task to accomplish this. Here's what I want one tag to do when I get home from work:

Wifi -> on
Bluetooth -> off
Volume -> full
3G/4G -> off

It's that last one I'm having difficulty figuring out what to do. I'm assuming I need to set up a task in Tasker to switch the data off and then 'add action' --> 'Tasker' in the NFC app to call up this Tasker 'switch'. Can anyone walk me through how to get this to work? I've tried about ten different things and nothing seems to be working. I think part of the problem is I don't know what all the check buttons and the on/off switch in the Tasker profile tab mean and how I can get NFC to pull in a particular Tasker task.

I know, I'm kind of a "n00b" when it comes to Tasker, but ya gotta start somewhere, right? :-[

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I totally understand your issue, and while I have some experience with Tasker, I'm not an expert at it either.

And I also have the Nexus S 4G, but I haven't played around with NFC tagging at all, so I can't help you there.

But have you tried this: In Tasker, you can set a context for state-wifi connected. So if you can make your NFC tag connect your wifi, once it does, Tasker would then automate the action, which you would set to be net-moble data off. You'd probably want to set up an exit task to turn mobile data back on again when wifi disconnects.

The only drawback I see to this plan is that Tasker would turn off your data anytime you're connected to wifi, not just at home, which you may not want. Although I think there's an option to add your home network wifi ID as part of the context state, which would only trigger then when you're connected to your home network.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I totally understand your issue, and while I have some experience with Tasker, I'm not an expert at it either.

And I also have the Nexus S 4G, but I haven't played around with NFC tagging at all, so I can't help you there.

But have you tried this: In Tasker, you can set a context for state-wifi connected. So if you can make your NFC tag connect your wifi, once it does, Tasker would then automate the action, which you would set to be net-moble data off. You'd probably want to set up an exit task to turn mobile data back on again when wifi disconnects.

The only drawback I see to this plan is that Tasker would turn off your data anytime you're connected to wifi, not just at home, which you may not want. Although I think there's an option to add your home network wifi ID as part of the context state, which would only trigger then when you're connected to your home network.

That's a good idea...lateral thinking. I'll mess around with it and see how it works. I generally only use the wifi on my phone at home...but I suppose there are times when I use wifi but also need a mobile data connection.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I realized you can actually specify which SSID activates the task...so I can set it up so that I have an NFC tag that switches wifi on/off. Depending on what wifi network I'm on, my Tasker will then turn my mobile data off or leave it on.

Now I'll just have to wait until I get home to see if it works... ;)