Calendar Frustration...is there a good one?

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, before everyone says, "Oh crap, another calendar rant", this is not. This is more of a frustration with the ones that are out there not being accurate. I like the interface of a couple of highly recommended ones, Jorte and Gemini, but can't stand the inaccurate data.

Last night I tried to set a birthday for yearly repeating. On both Jorte and Gemini even though I set the date as the 7th, both switched it to the 6th. Not once but twice. When I went to the stock calendar I had no problem. So you say, "Why don't you just use the stock calendar?", and I say, "I do, because I'm forced to if I want my appointments and meetings to be accurate."

Don't get me wrong, the stock calendar is fine, but I'm looking for an alternative for the same reasons everyone else is looking and using alternatives. A calendar widget is no problem, there are many very good ones. I guess I'm going to have to wait for Informant for Android to be finished by Alex. I've used it during my dark days of WinMo and also during my brighter days of Blackberry. Sure will be nice to use with my Super Nova days in Android. :)

I guess I'll just keep searching for the one calendar app that meets my needs and until then use the stock app,, which is fine, just not what I want, and you know how we are, never satisfied and always looking. Why else would we be in this forum. :D

So if you know of an app other than the two I've mentioned and think it has potential, please let me know. I've searched and tried just about all of them on Appbrain and even looked for solutions outside of the normal areas with no luck. Maybe someone has something I've not run across and will share. Thanks.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for mentioning gemini. I never investigated anything beyond stock calendar. I like the combo month and preview view

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Ive not had any issues with Jorte; I like the widgets and the reminders work fine what I need them for. I am always on the lookout for the latest and greatest though so I will check into gemini as well just to see.

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I installed gemini, I really like the design and layout of the app itself..but I don't care for the widgets. I like how Jorte has a widget option of of 4x2 horizontal view where you can see 2 weeks worth of of the calendar in the widget without having to do anything else.

I will give gemini a try though because I do like the layout overall.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I use the stock htc calendar purly due to it being clean enough and acurate enough for my liking, even if I don't like the widget. But I use calwidget for my homescreen purly because I can make it transparent & edit the font colour of each individual bit of info like dates "white" times "blue" event "green" it will auto open whatever calendar app you use so its a nice way to customize the onscreen info without having to use a calendar you dislike, or show a calendar that you may think is a little to ugly for the homescreen.

Vagrant_1

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know why the stock(HTC) calender wont give reminder alerts for things like fb birthdays? They added them in 2.2 but no freaking alerts !!! and I cant find a setting to make them unless i'm doing something wrong

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ive not had any issues with Jorte; I like the widgets and the reminders work fine what I need them for.

I have to agree here. I use Jorte and receive the reminders from the stock calendar app which runs (and should not be closed) in the background. Audio from the stock calendar and visual + input to Jorte is a winner and works perfectly. I use 2 different widgets for Jorte, back to back on the same page, each 2X4. One shows agenda. The other shows weekly. Point is, it provides great flexibility and can be customized to the user's needs.

To the OP, it seems like the problem in this case would lie not with Jorte and Gemini, but with the service that is updating them both (i.e. Google calendar). Are you sure the problem wasn't somehow related to the native service?

Last edited:

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
OP - what's wrong with Jorte?

Lost some data and some data was entered using a certain date an Jorte would shift the date by one day. To be honest, both did it but the stock calendar didn't.

Coming from the BB world, the calendar and a lot of the 3rd party add ons was great. Miss that but I'm really liking the Google desktop version as I've been able to capture all phone calls to my calendar so I have a really good record of my day. All calls, appointments, meetings and task in one place.

The interface is good but not great. Getting the first word or two on the day when in month view is not as good as it seems.

One program I wish I could find is one that allows BB days. I'm sure someone will code one up before too long. If an Dev out there is looking for some ideas, try and write programs that help with business like the BB does.

Anyway, still looking.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
try Jorte again. i've not heard of this problem and it's had a few recent updates. and perhaps it was user error?

good luck.

DrUnKeN_TiGeR

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
for some reason with jorte it works great the full month view but when i reboot the phone the whole widget is gone and i cant get it back unless i uninstall and reinstall

shellzda1

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Jorte and love it. I have seen it move birthdays several times to the previous date. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason, just randomly, someone's bday is a day ahead. Maybe it is just because that is the only all day events I have on calendar, but it only does it with all day events. Other than that, I don't think there are any better options. I have gone thru and added a time of day on all day events and it has not happened since.

Goldwinger

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I use Jorte and love it. I have seen it move birthdays several times to the previous date. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason, just randomly, someone's bday is a day ahead. Maybe it is just because that is the only all day events I have on calendar, but it only does it with all day events. Other than that, I don't think there are any better options. I have gone thru and added a time of day on all day events and it has not happened since.

Hmmmm! I'll give that a try and see what the results are. Sounds reasonable.

Working with the stock calendar on the DX, so not much pain, just kind of plain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo