"Send as" from Gmail

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I receive forwarded mail from multiple Google accounts. Accessing Gmail from a full web browser on the PC, I have the ability to reply from the same account as the one that received a message.

In order to manage my email "identities", especially between the one I use for professional purposes and the one I use for online blogs and forums, I need the ability to reply from the same account as addressed to in the Android Gmail on my phone, rather than the email being listed as "from" my main e-mail address. Is there anyway to do this?

gdigenis

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I think you can set this up in your Google account on your pc. If that doesn't work your device does let you sync email from multiple gmail accounts, so just set up as many gmail accounts as you need and that way you can reply from each individual account. I have 4 different gmail accounts on my vibrant right now and it works great

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
There is no way to compose a NEW email message as a different account from within your primary one, but I believe if you are replying to an existing message that was sent initially to your secondary email, the latest Gmail v2.2.1 (not in the Market yet, check out XDA to get it) will reply from that secondary email. It will NOT show the secondary email address in the compose window (in fact it will show from: primary address), but if you send the reply anyway, it will appear as if sent from the secondary email address.

Did that make sense? lol it's 3 am here :p

btw, I discovered that by mistake :D I replied to an email that was sent initially to my junk address, and the reply appeared as if sent from that junk address, and no, I have only my primary address synced with my N1.

Last edited:

staffordjm

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've got my own domain and have my email there configured to forward to the gmail account I setup for my Dinc. I use K-9 mail on my Dinc so that I can put the "From" and "ReplyTo" address as the address of my own domain that everybody knows.

dianagr#AC

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
OK, I think I have fixed this....as inelegant as it is.

I also have several email addresses that go into 1 gmail account and I send from all 3. I first tried the desktop version of gmail from the browser and it also did not offer to change the "send as" address.

The trade off is that it denies you push ability - but being able to send as the sender that you want to be is probably a bigger deal.

Go into regular email account set up.

The account name is your alias (me@mydomain.com) - choose manual set-up

The Incoming Info is:

User name: your gmail address (me@gmail.com)
Password: your gmail password
Server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Encryption: SSL

Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
Require Sign-In
Port: 465
Encryption: SSL

So far, I have only set up one account this way, and in my Outlook at work the email comes in as: "me@gmail.com on behalf of me @mydomain.com" - which I believe to be standard for outlook. When I sent to Mr. Gr's yahoo account it came in as me @mydomain.com.

Before I set up the other 2, I am thinking that I may get into trouble in the unified box as I might receive everything 3 times, with 3 send as aliases.

I might set this new account to never check for mail, assign incoming mail to labels and then just use the send-as aliases to reply from the label tabs.

Anyone have a better solution to this latter problem. It seems crazy to go into 2 programs just to reply to email. Thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited:

dianagr#AC

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: it only worked the first time. :(

I went to add the second account, thinking I would set it to "never" get new email and it would not allow duplicate login credentials.

So my fix works for the most important email alias, I still seek a solution for multiple email send-as aliases.

Anyone? Bueller?

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, best solution is K9 Mail so far.

K9 might be the best solution, but it has it's own quirks. Status bar notifications not clearing after reading an email, not forwarding html properly, etc.

You would THINK that Android would put out a decent mail application. This is where Blackberry shines. An application that I'm sure EVERY Android user uses, yet they all pretty much suck.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody figured out how to select all when deleting email? Or is this something G mail doesn't do?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I also have multiple POP3 accounts forwarded to my gmail and if I want to compose an email that would show a different "from" address, I do it in k9, which allows this feature. For all other email matters I just use the gmail app. Not ideal, but it works.

SDsc_rch

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
i have the latest version of gmail on my android phone (htc hero - running 2.2 froyo) and guess what i just noticed!

a "from" line and right next to it... a little drop-down arrow! which, when clicked on, displays all the gmail accts now added to my phone!

i tested it and - voila!

they did it!

they fixed it!

thx google!
: )

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
i have the latest version of gmail on my android phone (htc hero - running 2.2 froyo) and guess what i just noticed!

a "from" line and right next to it... a little drop-down arrow! which, when clicked on, displays all the gmail accts now added to my phone!

i tested it and - voila!

they did it!

they fixed it!

thx google!
: )

Not seeing it on mine. Guess its not working for Cyanogen users.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87