whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Does the Skype Icon always stay in the notification tray? I'd like to stay signed in (so I can get IM messages), but I'd rather not have that Icon clogging up my notif. tray.

EDIT: OK, and it also looks like it doesn't vibrate or make a sound when you get a new IM. Seems like they've got a lot of work to do before this is going to be useful to me. Maybe to others, but not me. Uninstalling.

Last edited:

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well finally.

Hmmm 10 mb and no option to move to SD. Still no video calls. And regular calls only over wifi? Wtf is this, skype? Enough of your political games, make a real app

You really think Skype DOESN'T want you to use their service to make calls from anywhere (away from wifi)? Think about it...does Sprint, Tmobile, AT&T, etc WANT you to not use their minutes to make calls? Verizon has to have some type of deal with Skype to allow calls over 3G.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The lack of 3G calling in the US in not Skype's fault. It's a problem with the US' lack of competition regulations that allow companies like Verizon to lock that functionality to a single company. Just like the previous poster states, under normal circumstances Skype as a company would have nothing to gain from not letting you call over 3G. Blame Verizon and move to Europe if it's such a big problem.

ilyaamex

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
You really think Skype DOESN'T want you to use their service to make calls from anywhere (away from wifi)? Think about it...does Sprint, Tmobile, AT&T, etc WANT you to not use their minutes to make calls? Verizon has to have some type of deal with Skype to allow calls over 3G.

Exactly. That is what's pissing me off. The big companies (e.g. Verizon) sitting on top of the world, preventing progress(!) just so they can keep sucking money out of us for useless voice plans a bit longer.

And Skype? Could have just kept doing their thing and providing great service (FUNCTIONAL apps included) instead of sucking onto Verizon's golden tit. I'm just disappointed, they changed their ways of running business.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but for now this is how I see things.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can sync and link

I haven't tried it myself, but the option at the bottom in Settings lets you sync with what the app calls "Android Contacts". Might be the same thing, might not be. ;)

I have to say though, I'm quite pleased. It sure took a while, but the app is stylish, fast and it's not a noticeable drain on the battery (Nimbuzz uses quite a bit of battery at times). Once they get A2SD and video calling in there, we're all set. Even though I don't have a forward facing camera. xD

Thank you. It took me a while to actually find "Settings" (hint: My Info->Menu) From there, it was fairly straightforward to sync. Once it did that, I could indeed "Link" my Skype users with their Android / Google Mail Contact entries. Very nice.

ilyaamex

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The lack of 3G calling in the US in not Skype's fault. It's a problem with the US' lack of competition regulations that allow companies like Verizon to lock that functionality to a single company. Just like the previous poster states, under normal circumstances Skype as a company would have nothing to gain from not letting you call over 3G. Blame Verizon and move to Europe if it's such a big problem.

Are you saying Skype had no choice but to sign an exclusive contract with Verizon?

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying Skype had no choice but to sign an exclusive contract with Verizon?
Of course not, though I see how my post probably sounds that way. They should've said no, but I just think that the US needs laws that would've prohibited Verizon ever suggesting the deal in the first place.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Of course not, though I see how my post probably sounds that way. They should've said no, but I just think that the US needs laws that would've prohibited Verizon ever suggesting the deal in the first place.

Absolutely disagree.

Exclusive agreements are how many companies work and introduce value into their product. iPhone on ATT, Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, Skype on Verizon, Coke or Pepsi (but not both) at your favorite restaurant, exclusive games on XBOX/PS3/Wii, etc.

Yes, it would be nice (from a customer standpoint) to have every service available on every device and every device available on every service, because you'd be able to base everything on price (ignoring features since all features would be available on all services/devices).

But from an economy/business/capitalism/competition standpoint, there's lots of money to be had by exclusive deals (look to how the exclusive deals with studios affected the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD fiasco...billions upon billions at stake there).

The thing with Skype though...I personally think there's more money to be had (by Skype) by NOT signing that deal with Verizon. Apparently they and their big team of analysts, lawyers, accountants, and people smarter than me thought differently though.

ilyaamex

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely disagree.

Exclusive agreements are how many companies work and introduce value into their product. iPhone on ATT, Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, Skype on Verizon, Coke or Pepsi (but not both) at your favorite restaurant, exclusive games on XBOX/PS3/Wii, etc.

Please note that this is not the case in Europe (except for games, as they are coming from the US).

The thing with Skype though...I personally think there's more money to be had (by Skype) by NOT signing that deal with Verizon. Apparently they and their big team of analysts, lawyers, accountants, and people smarter than me thought differently though.
You're probably right.

Anyway, this is a whole other discussion.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site

We'll never know how the deal went down but a possibility could have been that Verizon was the ONLY one to agree to 3G calls so Skype developed for them first. So instead of thinking Skype only wanted to work with Verizon, maybe Verizon was the only one that wanted to work with Skype. Just a thought... :)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
cool app.

but wifi is the dealbreaker.

no video chat? strike 1

only call via wifi? strike 2

...anyone want to add a strike 3? (no, Galaxy S users--the complaint of it not working on your handset is invalid)

i'm this close to uninstalling. i see no point in this until video is supported AND/OR non-wifi calls are enabled.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
cool app.

but wifi is the dealbreaker.

no video chat? strike 1

only call via wifi? strike 2

...anyone want to add a strike 3? (no, Galaxy S users--the complaint of it not working on your handset is invalid)

i'm this close to uninstalling. i see no point in this until video is supported AND/OR non-wifi calls are enabled.

For me, Strike 3 is no audible notification of incoming IM. But I seem to be the only one talking about that, so maybe it is just me?

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
For me, Strike 3 is no audible notification of incoming IM. But I seem to be the only one talking about that, so maybe it is just me?
No, not just you. :) That's a bit annoying for me as well, but I can only assume that'll be fixed in the coming updates. I can only hope they'll do a better job maintaining this app than they did getting it out in the first place.

ilyaamex

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
We'll never know how the deal went down but a possibility could have been that Verizon was the ONLY one to agree to 3G calls so Skype developed for them first. So instead of thinking Skype only wanted to work with Verizon, maybe Verizon was the only one that wanted to work with Skype. Just a thought... :)

Good thought, but it seems to me that the restriction is coming from Skype, not the carriers. As far as carriers are concerned, it's just another app that uses data.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Good thought, but it seems to me that the restriction is coming from Skype, not the carriers. As far as carriers are concerned, it's just another app that uses data.

No, it's an app that has the possibility of replacing their minutes (calls on Skype instead of calls against the monthly minute allowance). I'm sure overages on minutes makes them a lot of money.

ilyaamex

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
No, it's an app that has the possibility of replacing their minutes (calls on Skype instead of calls against the monthly minute allowance). I'm sure overages on minutes makes them a lot of money.

So does the text messaging, yet apps like Google Voice are openly available and allow for free texting.

Sotoman7

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
"We're sorry, but we couldn't sign you in. Please try again later." worked great this morning but now it doesn't strange. Evo 4G

oldpapa49

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat with you Sotoman7, worked this morning and not at all now on my EVO..

I have to guess there at least 3 people using it up..

Old