ADW.Launcher vs LauncherPro

DoubleA319

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Personally I like LP+ the best. I've tried to give ADW a shot but I just can't get used to it. The two things I found myself missing a lot when I tried ADW were the widgets and the scrollable docks. The widgets do an amazing job at recreating the widgets from Sense. I actually think the People's widget for LP is better than the People widget from Sense actually. Then there's the scrollable docks. Pure awesomeness. You get to put 15 different shortcuts all together which definitely helps things. And I forgot another thing about LP that's awesome... 3d gallery. LP with ResToggle is in my opinion the best look and feel for your launcher. Here's how I have mine set up:

snap20101016_150206.png
snap20101016_150203.png

snap20101016_150159.png

snap20101016_150214.png
snap20101016_150209.png

Hey I like that power control widget, where did you get it?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nope.... buuuuut... thanks for the idea! LOL... It's called SwitchPro. Grab it here. It's an awesome app. There's TONS of customizations you can do. One of my favorite options is being able to use the LED flash for a flashlight toggle, that would be the one all the way on the right... Enjoy!

BuddyLee

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm a minimalist and I like the lite clean feeling of adw launcher.
All those crazy widgets and stuff I almost have disabled ...
Only widgets I use is
facebook ...two screens left
weatherbug elite ... one screen left
google search ... center screen (main)
power bar ... one right
Pure calendar widgets two right.

Dural

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I was using Jorte happily, but then started experimenting with the LP+ widgets. Its calendar widget is so awesome, I started using it exclusively. The Twitter and Facebook widgets are just as good. Love the option to have these alternate launchers.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am a big fan of ADW just for the configuration options. I like the fact that I can set my app drawer to show 5 icons across instead of the default 4, and that I can set options for homescreen swipe actions. I set a swipe up action in any home screen to load the sense-like homescreen preview, and set swipe down from anywhere on my homescreens to open the notifications pane. I tried LP for a while, but couldn't get past losing those options.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, the two big launchers out there are practically at feature parity nowadays. Hell, I just found out that the secondary dock for ADW scrolls and that I can place I don't know how many icons on there instead of the 6 I remembered it used to do. So I went and added contact icons for my folks.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Those do have the LP+ People Widget: How do you get the pics to look HQ? Mine look like ****, so I refuse to use it until I can figure out how to fix that.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Those do have the LP+ People Widget: How do you get the pics to look HQ? Mine look like ****, so I refuse to use it until I can figure out how to fix that.

Are you talking about the ones that sync with Facebook? If so, you need to download syncmypix from the Market, then synchronize your pics with it, then refresh the People widget.

Reactions: packerbacker

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about the ones that sync with Facebook? If so, you need to download syncmypix from the Market, then synchronize your pics with it, then refresh the People widget.

Well I didn't know what's what they did to get the pictures to be higher quality. Would that work for all of my contacts, then? Would I have to delete all of their pictures they currently have next to their google contact now?

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I didn't know what's what they did to get the pictures to be higher quality. Would that work for all of my contacts, then? Would I have to delete all of their pictures they currently have next to their google contact now?

It will work for any contact name that has a matching Facebook profile. For example, if you have a contact (doesn't matter whether it's Google, Phone, or otherwise) named John Doe, and you also have a Facebook friend named John Doe, it will download & replace the existing contact photo with a new (hi res) one. I'm only guessing here, but I think Samsung's app downloads a low res version, which is fine for the tiny thumbnails in the contacts app, but looks like garbage in LP's People widget. As always, 3rd party app to the rescue. This time it's syncmypix :)

FuManChuu

May 16, 2010
Visit site
ADW is fantastic and free, LPP costs and has widgets.

That said, well worth the cost to me. Couldn't find a calendar widget with an agenda view that worked well enough / looked pretty enough

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Adw can do everything lp can do. If you want widgets just search in that market there is soooo many for sooo many things.

Only problem is there aren't all the widgets on the market that you can get from Launcher Pro, but not get for ADWLauncher. For example, a lot of Launcher Pro has there own widgets that are similar to Sense's widget, ie. Bookmark, Facebook/Twiitter combo(like Friendstream), Calendar, etc. ADW has none of these widgets. There are some out there, but they cost a few dollars each, and they are not the same, or not really that close, in my opinion. Both Launcher's don't have a Photo Album Widget like Sense's version, yet. In my opinion Launcher Pro is more polished than ADWLauncher EX. ADW does have some nice features on its own merits, but seem to fall short, in my opinion. Each launcher is as good as the person that uses it. It depends on what that person really want for a launcher.

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

First, to create duplicate contact names and save them as "phone" contacts, not "google". You don't have to include phone numbers, emails, etc. All you need is a duplicate name and whatever accompanying picture you want. Once you've saved the new contact, link the two duplicate contacts (upper left hand of one of the duplicate contacts). Then, open one of the duplicate contacts again and click on the link symbol (upper left hand corner of the contact). Once there, hit the menu button, select "select contact picture", and select "phone".

I did this for all of my contacts and it took awhile, but it was well worth it. My contacts are now HQ in both the LP+ people widget and in the Sense people widget. I'm assuming it will do the same (look HQ) in Samsung's people widget as well.

Good luck!