Prefixer + Google Voice = free calls.

rlmesq

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been using Prefixer to dial calls through my Google Voice number for free calls. Here's how it works:

I have two Google Voice numbers -- one for the office, one personal. If someone dials the office number, it forwards to my office only. If someone calls my personal number, it rings both my cell and my home phone.

You can make outgoing calls by dialing your GV number and following the prompts, then entering the number you want to call, followed by the # sign. If your GV number is in your calling circle plan (VZW Friends & Family, etc.), any call you make through Google Voice is free.

Prefixer allows you to set dialing rules based on an almost-infinite number of conditions. Frankly, it was a little hard for me to follow, so I donated a few dollars (the app is free) and the developer was very responsive in walking me through the setup.

Here are the rules I'm using:

Seven digits, no area code: Prefixer calls my office GV number, adds the area code & dials the outgoing call. The recipient sees my office number.

(The advantage of the office GV number is that people who just hit redial will be sent to my secretary, not to me.)

Number starts with +1 (USA country code): Prefixer calls my personal GV number, strips the +1, then dials the outgoing call. Recipients will see my personal GV number, so a redial goes back to my cell.

Number starts with *82 (removes Caller ID block): call goes through without Prefixer.

Number that doesn't match the rules above: Dialed via the office GV number.

The new release of Prefixer also has a toggle widget.

NOTE: There's also an app called PreFixer, which just adds digits in front of the number you enter. It doesn't support dialing rules and it won't add the # suffix necessary to complete a call through GV.

You want Prefixer from 253?Below.

If you just use the "Call via Google Voice" function from the GV app or widget, it dials an access number to complete your call. Since the access number changes, it's impossible to add it to your calling circle for free calls.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
i still don't understand how you are avoiding the GV access number (or not paying for it).
Set the GV app to not use GV for any outbound calls.

Sounds like a complicated way of saying 'use your GV access number on your family plan faves'.
That's because the OP has 2 GV accounts. Prefixer allows the OP to have the phone dial out on either number based on how the number is stored in the contacts. There are other apps to dial out via your GV number but not all of them have this sort of functionality.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Using this app, how do numbers you've called appear in your call log? As the number you called, or as one of your GV numbers?

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If you have a secretary then why would you even need to make free calls?
I just have unlimited minutes. Period. All this sounds like a waste of precious time & energy. Plus I personally find using google voice extremely unprofessional, annoying and not suited for business use.. For personal use it is ok however. Also the OP reads like an advert.. Not sure if intentional or not but I felt like I just read an ad lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meer