Samsung pay officially released!!

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow, using Samsung Pay at a store that doesn't have an NFC reader and when it worked the look on the guys face was a mixture of "why is this guy touching my register/What the hell just happened(when the payment went through)" was priceless. Cool feature I do have to admit. Wish it supported my credit union though.

Contact your credit union about supporting samsung pay. The more we request, the faster it will happen

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I just opened a Bank of America checking yesterday! :) It was comparable to what I had with my credit union but, who knows when my credit union would work with Samsung pay. Crazy to open a new acct with a bank JUST to be able to use Samsung pay, huh? This is definitely a smart move on BOA, CIti, and US Bank part....the other big banks need to just get onboard!!
I'm thinking of doing the same..

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5

leeroyy

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I wish since it is not supporting debit cards for smaller banks you could disable. I was excited about this but it doesn't really help me much. I don't do Credit cards or use big banks.

Mighty_Red

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Another Samsung Pay Beta Update 9-23-15

I'm already skeptical of using your phone for payment from a security point of view but I just can't trust Samsung to get things right. If phones are left without updates, how will they be able to guarantee that holes won't be left unpatched and eventually exploited?

Apple control their whole system so it will be a little better (though Apple do a god job of denying vulnerabilities exist even if they do).

I guess it all depends on how your bank/credit card provider deals you if you ever get suspicious charges on your bill. If they remove them without question, no problem but if they put the blame on yourselves them we will be in trouble.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What's the benefit over fingerprint?
I would think that someone behind you could see your code and get ideas about steeling the phone from you.

I only ask because I am still leary of using a fingerprint even to unlock my phone. Someone could also get enough of a fingerprint, couldn't they, to cause even more damage when lifted off the phone itself.

Posted via the Android Central App

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Verizon has stated that they are “Still evaluating” Samsung Pay. You can read that as Verizon is trying to monetize S-Pay. They are trying to extract a payment from Samsung in the form of cash or data. By data, I mean that they want to know what you are buying, where you bought it, how much you paid for it, and when you bought it. This way they can track your habits and sell this information. There is no reason to “evaluate” S-Pay. It does not interfere with the Verizon network. There are no issues with the hardware or software as is evident by the beta test and roll out in both Korea and the US on various other carrier networks. So this leaves one and only one reason Verizon has blocked S-Pay. They have not negotiated a method to extract some form of payment from Samsung and/or the financial institutions behind the cards.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Another Samsung Pay Beta Update 9-23-15

I'm already skeptical of using your phone for payment from a security point of view but I just can't trust Samsung to get things right. If phones are left without updates, how will they be able to guarantee that holes won't be left unpatched and eventually exploited?

Apple control their whole system so it will be a little better (though Apple do a god job of denying vulnerabilities exist even if they do).

I guess it all depends on how your bank/credit card provider deals you if you ever get suspicious charges on your bill. If they remove them without question, no problem but if they put the blame on yourselves them we will be in trouble.

I've been using my Samsung phones for tap and pay for years now.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Technically yes but you may want to do it when they are with you as there will be some additional verification you need to perform. I added my wifes card to my phone (attempted to get the promo first day and Samsung had some glitches that caused me to think it was on my phones end) and it had to send her a text verification to her cell number. So depending on your relatives personal info attached to their account, you may need them to be around you.

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Technically yes but you may want to do it when they are with you as there will be some additional verification you need to perform. I added my wifes card to my phone (attempted to get the promo first day and Samsung had some glitches that caused me to think it was on my phones end) and it had to send her a text verification to her cell number. So depending on your relatives personal info attached to their account, you may need them to be around you.

That's a good security measure. Thieves cannot just add random card on their Samsung pay.

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Pay Tips and Tricks

Samsung Pay has worked everywhere I tried it--places which only allow swiping of credit/debit cards. Did you first select either debit/credit first?

bujd

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I used it several times last night, each time at stores that don't have NFC payment available -- Macy's, Nordstrom, Target and Gymboree (don't ask). A couple of clerks asked if I was using Apple Pay. A couple told me "I don't think we have that" (meaning NFC payment). All of them were amazed when it worked (and, I'll admit, I was kind of amazed too). One clerk asked what I think is a very good question: how can they check ID, as they are sometimes required to do, if the virtual card on the screen of my phone doesn't have a name on it? I know that ID shouldn't be necessary because the system is secure, but that doesn't help a clerk whose employer REQUIRES ID checks whenever a credit card is used. Until the store/employer changes its policy, what is that clerk supposed to do? I could certainly show ID, but I'm not aware of a way that a clerk could compare the ID to the name on the card, since there is no card and since the picture on the screen of my phone is just a blank card that doesn't include my name. Anyone know the answer to this?

r56mcs

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
That's why banks have to participate. They authorize it via secret code or verification calls when putting the card on Samsung pay app

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I used it several times last night, each time at stores that don't have NFC payment available -- Macy's, Nordstrom, Target and Gymboree (don't ask). A couple of clerks asked if I was using Apple Pay. A couple told me "I don't think we have that" (meaning NFC payment). All of them were amazed when it worked (and, I'll admit, I was kind of amazed too). One clerk asked what I think is a very good question: how can they check ID, as they are sometimes required to do, if the virtual card on the screen of my phone doesn't have a name on it? I know that ID shouldn't be necessary because the system is secure, but that doesn't help a clerk whose employer REQUIRES ID checks whenever a credit card is used. Until the store/employer changes its policy, what is that clerk supposed to do? I could certainly show ID, but I'm not aware of a way that a clerk could compare the ID to the name on the card, since there is no card and since the picture on the screen of my phone is just a blank card that doesn't include my name. Anyone know the answer to this?

Ooh, perhaps you should contact Samsung, maybe they didn't think of this, or maybe they did. We just don't have the information on how they will address that situation.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Looking for some advice. I just set up my Note 5 with Samsung pay and a Citi Mastercard. That part went ok. I wanted to see what happens so I swipe up, "Pay with fingerprint", when I put my finger on to verify it buzzes once and I get a pop up screen. "Exception" Exception report to Samsung Pay and I can either cancel or open up an email app to send a log. Is this behavior normal when there is no swipe machine detected?

I'm assuming that because I've used package disabler pro, I've disabled something... any ideas?

*Edit* Not sure what I did but I think it's working now. I enabled everything (by accident) in Package Disabler Pro, then went through the settings again. Then I rebooted the phone and it seems to be working now.

I has nothing to do with detecting the swiper, glad its working now, I have had no such exceptions, fingerprint works every time and and so does the app. Even on the apple pos terminals with swiper built in.