Best grocery shopping app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Out of Milk for years & have been pretty happy with it. There have been a couple recent updates where users aren't happy, so I'm holding off on updating & thought I'd explore other options. There are a lot of choices out there, some with not many ratings, but they might be newer apps.

I don't care if it's a free or paid app, if I like an app I'm happy to support the developer by buying it. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must have: (these things seem pretty standard from the apps I've looked at)
*Create multiple lists where I can check off items as I purchase them
*Web interface, so I can make updates from my PC if I want to
*Sync my list with web & other phones (both Android & iPhone)

Nice to have:
*Ability to search within the app to find items on sale at my local stores (OoM had this but it might have been removed since it's not working on my un-updated version - it was handy to see who had Pepsi on sale!)
*Barcode scanner to add items to list
*One thing OoM doesn't have that I'd love, would be a way to combine lists. I buy my groceries either at Cub or Target - but if I'm at Target I might also buy light bulbs or socks. Rather than have duplicate lists of grocery items for both stores, I'd like to have one list of items & sort by the store name to show just the items I might buy from that store. I don't know if any of these apps do this?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Our household uses/shares lists from 'Our Groceries'. We like it's simplicity.
It has a web interface and it's also cross platform.

Posted via the Android Central App

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I emailed 4 different grocery shopping apps that are highly rated, to ask about my wish of "combining lists" that I mentioned above. Our Groceries was the only one who replied, but they said something like "we don't have that but we get a lot of requests for it, & haven't figured out how to do it."

Just based on them responding I was hoping to like their app, but I'm not crazy about it.

I'm currently trying out Grocery King, they actually have a "copy item to another list" function that seems to work nicely. The copied item allows linking so if I cross it off on one list, it crosses it off any lists it's linked to (but I can also turn that functionality off) . Still too early to tell what I think of it overall.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Been using Grocery King for several years. It is ok but I approach the application from the stand point of NOT wanting to have it so cloud centric. The only way to migrate all the added grocery items and customized features is to back it up to the cloud and then copy it back down. Would rather just back it up/use a PC version to migrate to a new smartphone.

Also would rather send other users a txt msg for a grocery list and not burn up data charges for sending a list and updates. GK seems to have lots of features though, but I have never used them. Built in camera is a good feature I use, but again when I move to a new phone I'll loose all that info because it doesn't back up to an SD Card.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, that's definitely interesting feedback. Basically I really like Out of Milk, except it's super inconvenient to have to either keep everything in one gigantic list, or have a lot of the same items in multiple lists. I like how you can either add/remove items from your lists using your phone or the web - Grocery King doesn't seem to have the web interface.

I guess I need to keep looking.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Out of Milk for years & have been pretty happy with it. There have been a couple recent updates where users aren't happy, so I'm holding off on updating & thought I'd explore other options. There are a lot of choices out there, some with not many ratings, but they might be newer apps.

I don't care if it's a free or paid app, if I like an app I'm happy to support the developer by buying it. Here's what I'm looking for:

Must have: (these things seem pretty standard from the apps I've looked at)
*Create multiple lists where I can check off items as I purchase them
*Web interface, so I can make updates from my PC if I want to
*Sync my list with web & other phones (both Android & iPhone)

Nice to have:
*Ability to search within the app to find items on sale at my local stores (OoM had this but it might have been removed since it's not working on my un-updated version - it was handy to see who had Pepsi on sale!)
*Barcode scanner to add items to list
*One thing OoM doesn't have that I'd love, would be a way to combine lists. I buy my groceries either at Cub or Target - but if I'm at Target I might also buy light bulbs or socks. Rather than have duplicate lists of grocery items for both stores, I'd like to have one list of items & sort by the store name to show just the items I might buy from that store. I don't know if any of these apps do this?

Any suggestions?

Our Groceries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non