How to force Android to open Facebook links IN the Facebook app?

Forkjulle

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
If someone emails me a link to something on Facebook, or if I receive a Facebook message in Facebook Messenger, and I click on the link, it opens Chrome.

Obviously, opening a Facebook link IN Facebook is preferable, but I don't seem to get any prompts to make this happen.

Any idea on how to do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Facebook, tap Menu, then App Settings, and make sure the "Links open externally" switch is off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now this is really peculiar. I just went back to my settings, and also can't find that option--even though I saw it when I had written that previous post (because I wanted to make sure I wrote it out exactly as it appeared in the menu). I tried Clearing Cache/Data for Facebook, and it's still not there. I wonder if they changed something on the server end? Right now, links are defaulting to Chrome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One of my colleagues confirmed that the feature disappeared in the latest version. I don't recall FB updating between yesterday and today, so I still suspect it may have been something on the server side.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another update, and it's getting weirder. The reason I saw that option still available earlier today was because I looked on my Nexus 7 (running the same Facebook version). And that option is still there. So I thought maybe it's a difference between the tablet and phone version--but the option is still there on my Zenfone 2 as well (same Facebook version). Not really sure what's going on here. I'll keep an eye on the Nexus 7 and Zenfone 2--if it's a server side thing, then maybe those options will disappear there soon as well.

EDIT: My Nexus 5 is on Marshmallow, so maybe it's due to that. But then again, your phone looks like a Samsung, which wouldn't have gotten Marshmallow yet. I still have no idea.:(

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh.. This is an entirely different issue than what you were discussing with me, B. Diddy. That Facebook browser was like Facebook's own browser for links on the web. When someone sends a link on Facebook to me in a Facebook message, I have the option to choose to open it in the Facebook app.. BUT.. I don't use messenger. That is also a link, not sharing a post. I installed the Facebook Chat Re-enabler so I can use the inbox within the app. I don't know of that does differently if you use messenger.

When someone shares a post in inbox, that opens with the mobile browser.

The Facebook browser they used to use just took the place of chrome when opening any links and didn't open in the app, it was Facebook's own browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right--but the strange thing is that the option to open a link using Facebook's limited browser is still available on my Nexus 7 and Zenfone 2, but not on the Nexus 5, even though they're all running the same version of Facebook.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Same thing with my Note 4 and Note 5. I've even had the same thing happen with Material Design on Facebook. I've had it and then when I reset my phone and logged in, it wasn't there and then showed up again later.

That is somehow all sever connected in some way.

The same thing has happened with the contact sync options and different on each of my phones. Not sure how it works on Facebook's end, but it is on Facebook's server end.

Last edited:

Forkjulle

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
My phone is a Galaxy S6 Edge.

The reason I want this option turned on is because sometimes friends send me links to pictures or videos that are posted to Facebook. Sometimes it's just better to open Facebook-posted links IN Facebook.

But the option is gone and now opens in Chrome. Very odd.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But the option is gone and now opens in Chrome. Very odd.

I just checked my Nexus 5's Facebook app, and the option to open links internally or externally is back. Go figure. It must be something on the server side. Check your phone again.

jtye01

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I might not have read all the responses but I get that they aren't answering your question.
Rather than opening in the facebook browser vs chrome browser you're saying a link is taking you to facebook.com via chrome rather than simply opening your facebook app.

Those settings are found here..
Application manager
facebook
set as default
supported web addresses

my settings have
fb.com
facebook.com
m.facebook.com
www.facebook.com

so anytime a link tries to take you to facebook the facebook app launches rather than ANY BROWSER.

Kyle Sweet

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
The setting does not work. I have it set to open links externally, but ~25% of articles still open within the app. [on Android 6.x, all apps updated as of 11/2016]

cavanol

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
Re: How to force Ayoundroid to open Facebook links IN the Facebook app?

you guys need to go on the facebook app and go to your setting on there app settings and from there you can choose to Links open externally option and it should be fixed from there hope this helps you out i couldnt figure it out myself and just went through all the setting one everything hope it works for you guys

If someone emails me a link to something on Facebook, or if I receive a Facebook message in Facebook Messenger, and I click on the link, it opens Chrome.

Obviously, opening a Facebook link IN Facebook is preferable, but I don't seem to get any prompts to make this happen.

Any idea on how to do this?

Mark Vandenbergen

Jan 12, 2018
Visit site
Re: How to force Ayoundroid to open Facebook links IN the Facebook app?

Which app does the Facebook link open in?
For example I had Facebook links opening in Firefox.
You can try going to the settings of that app, and reset there.
After I reset Firefox, the Facebook links opened in the Facebook app.

Ginjitzu

Jan 22, 2019
Visit site
It's 2019 and I still have not found a solution to this issue. I can't believe this isn't an issue for more people! It's so inconvenient to try to browse Facebook using Chrome for mobile. I can't imagine there isn't a simple solution to this issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There probably is - but since Facebook develops the app, and maintains the server code, it's up to them to fix it. Email them. If enough people complain, they might just listen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87