Is it safe to access bank sites and other https sites using the Android browser?
    03-09-2011 05:19 AM
    There are several browser related security and privacy settings that will make your phone more secure. Some of these settings may affect your Internet usability and are less convenient then the less secure options so change them as needed.
    Menu > More Settings > Browser Settings:
    -Block Pop Ups (Check for the more secure setting to prevent websites from opening new windows without your permission)
    -Enable Java Script (uncheck to prevent Javascript from running, note this is probably not advised except for those desiring the most secure setting)
    -Enable Plugins (uncheck to prevent plugins from loading from web pages)

Browser Privacy Options
    -Clear Cache
    -Clear History
    -Accept cookies (uncheck to prevent cookies from being placed on your browser although this is only recommended for high security setups due to its impact on functionality)
    -Enable Location/Location Sharing (turn off to prevent browsing based applications from utilizing your location as a data source)
    -Clear all cookie data
    -Remember form data (uncheck to prevent which is recommended if you perform online banking or access other sensitive sites)
    jakelaw#AC likes this.
    03-09-2011 09:04 AM
    It is easier to access Bank sites using their own apps (if they have one). One would also think that it would be more secure but I do remember reading something lately that this may not always be true.

If you are going to be going to a Bank site do not use a public WiFi connection but instead use your phones 3G or 4G connection as it is more secure. If you will be using a public WiFi do it with a VPN if you have one.

03-09-2011 09:13 AM
    BOA has a mobile site that I use.
    03-09-2011 01:12 PM
    Bringing back an old thread.....

So coming from a blackberry phone, my thunderbolt is my first Android device. Would any of you guys hesitate entering credit card info to but things online, renew a driveway license, etc? Blackberry was pretty secure in https sites using 3G.
    04-29-2011 08:40 AM
    Personally, I would prefer to wait until I reached a home computer. If I was on the go and really needed to purchase something or enter sensitive information, yes, I will use my mobile device. I wouldn't suspect any concerns with entering this type of information from the phone but you always want to protect yourself. @Cyber Warrior put together some good information to help you be more secure with your device when browsing.
    04-29-2011 08:53 AM
    I have done online banking and E-commerce both from my phone on my Centro, Pre, and now my Evo Shift. I just make sure that as soon a I can after I do my business I go in and clear the cache, forms, and history. I have never felt insecure doing this. I think the biggest one is not to use an unsecured wifi network, ie: at a coffee shop, etc.
    04-29-2011 04:21 PM