What's a good Messaging (sms) App for multi platforms?

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know of a good app that is compatible with both Android and Apple and has scheduled text?

I plan on using this in a work environment and it would be heaven sent to use one app for both platforms.

I have researched handcent sms and although it works on both platforms the reviews are the complete opposite. It works incredibly great for Android but, lacks tremendously for Apple.

I've also researched Textra and LATR but, any hands on experience is needed and welcomed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Both Android and Apple, no - since Apple uses iMessage for texts, and that's a proprietary protocol - Apple won't let anyone else use it. The only compatible protocol is plain old text - SMS - and just about any Android SMS app can do that. (The only problem, really - once things are set up - is sending files. MMS [the file part of SMS] has a 600KB limit, iMessage doesn't. "That's the "lacking" on Apple - you can handle only small files - and only a developer who maintains a server [that's what Apple does] can overcome that. Since almost no one does, you'll find that the "problem" isn't solved - and probably never will be.)

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've used Textra since it launched and the Textra predecessor (can't remember the name, Chomp maybe). Support has always been good. UI looks great. They were doing replies from the pop up notification (without opening the app separately) before it was a "thing". Can't say enough positive things about my experience with Textra.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently trying chomp and kinda ran into a wall with group and scheduled text. After I select the group, cut/paste the message, then select the timer to schedule... It give me this error message [YOU CAN'T SCHEDULE SENDING OF MMS MESSAGES] so unfortunately Chomp will not work neither. It does seem to be a decent app if your not sending a large amount of scheduled messages.

The other potential problem is when you select the group it's a single checkbox for the entire group, there's no individual selection. If your carrier only allows 10 or 20 contacts per group text and there's 60 contacts to that group, theres no way to select your max and then repeat the max to communicate with the entire group.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The other potential problem is when you select the group it's a single checkbox for the entire group, there's no individual selection. If your carrier only allows 10 or 20 contacts per group text and there's 60 contacts to that group, theres no way to select your max and then repeat the max to communicate with the entire group.
For a group that large, I would question whether texting is the appropriate medium.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
For a group that large, I would question whether texting is the appropriate medium.
Yes, it is. It's worked tremendously for me. The problem is I use an app called Message+. It's a Verizon app and only works flawlessly for Verizon customers.

I have been asked to find and app that could work on both platforms... Any carrier. I was in the process of trying Chomp SMS until last night. It worked great for social texting but, as a group and scheduled it had to be completed in a sms format vs. Mms meaning everyone could see everyone else's phone #. That is something I definitely have to avoid.

I think what I'm going to tell my company is to just get service from Verizon for everyone and the problem will be solved . Jk

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Message+ works on both Android and Apple. However, to set it up, the phone is like the primary, and you give permission on a tablet to connect the two: tablet to phone. Run the tablet app on either Android or Apple, and it will prompt to send a code to your phone. I do not think Message+ would connect two phone's. Just a tablet to Phone.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Verizon Message+ works on both Android and Apple. However, to set it up, the phone is like the primary, and you give permission on a tablet to connect the two: tablet to phone. Run the tablet app on either Android or Apple, and it will prompt to send a code to your phone. I do not think Message+ would connect two phone's. Just a tablet to Phone.
I had some one try it and they said that it let them DL but the install was glitchie and later an message popped up that they weren't a verzion customer. At that point I guess the app could continue to be used used but, it would be a struggle.

Nitesh Dowlagar

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
@VZWSucks, please share your email id to receive an exclusive beta invite to try our app which allows you to set meetings/appointments with virtually unlimited group members and also chat with the group in real to semi real time.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
@VZWSucks, please share your email id to receive an exclusive beta invite to try our app which allows you to set meetings/appointments with virtually unlimited group members and also chat with the group in real to semi real time.
Is your app in the playstore? What is the name of the app?? I like to see see details of the app, reviews etc.

Nitesh Dowlagar

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi @VZWSucks , sorry missed replying to your post. Please check out www.meetnumber.com . We are in select beta and are planning to release to store post Christmas. If you are interested to have a look, I can send you an invite which includes unlimited usage of all features at the moment.