THE NEW SKYPE....a review

G

GenericMessage

Just downloaded it.
Seems like a good solid Skype experience. Far better than the one it replaced.

Lets you call other Skype users using a computer for $0, thats pretty neat! And it lets you use their service for international calling! And thats very inexpensive compared to Verizon's international calling.

Sadly there is one major thorn in my side about it:

NO WIFI CALLING.

Thats right.......the thing we where so excited about having with this new Skype, they DO NOT ALLOW. No signal where you live but can find wifi and was wishing this was your salvation? Too bad this time. Wishing to travel abroad and make your Droid handy outside of the country? Nope.

Sadly until skype fixes this issue, it will be far from perfect

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I feel like it's probably more a Verizon issue then a Skype one.. I'll still download it though. Can't wait for the day when I can video chat from my cell phone though..

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That's too bad about WiFi calling. Wow, it's like bizarro iPhone Skype, where they only allow calling via WiFi and not 3G (at least for now.)

PortareAF

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't have any wifi, which of course is VZW, because if you could they make no money, defeats the purpose for them. It is getting slaughtered in the market for it.

jasonrellis

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I put my phone number in on Skype.com and they sent me a text with a link for the download. When I press the link, it takes me to the webpage and tells me that my phone is not supported by skype and that I need to purchase a blackberry or android device to take advantage of skype. I'm doing all this from my droid...... Anyone else running into this problem?

SergeantDroid

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I put my phone number in on Skype.com and they sent me a text with a link for the download. When I press the link, it takes me to the webpage and tells me that my phone is not supported by skype and that I need to purchase a blackberry or android device to take advantage of skype. I'm doing all this from my droid...... Anyone else running into this problem?

Yep, having the same problem.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Same.. won't let me download. Can someone who has already gotten it provide the apk?

You can download it directly from the market. I'm shocked AC doesn't have a barcode for it yet. I downloaded it from the market and created my account via the Skype app...no issues yet.

On the wi-fi issue. Verizon can't make any money off of skype-skype calls anyway so why in the world would they block wifi? All the skype-> land calls are serviced by verizon so that part I can understand. Do they really think that people are going to use Skype(and pay for calls) instead of just calling right from their handset?

bananaslug613

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If anything, wouldn't enabling Wifi be advantageous for Verizon because it wouldn't clog up their 3g networks with the required data needed to run skype? This may be a stupid question but I am curious.

dontera

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
i spoke with a tech support guy at skype, he advised to do the following if you are getting the "your mobile is not supported" page:

1) clear your cache
2) reboot your phone (important!)

This fixed my problem and I was able to get to the download page.

Brad Lane

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
i spoke with a tech support guy at skype, he advised to do the following if you are getting the "your mobile is not supported" page:

1) clear your cache
2) reboot your phone (important!)

This fixed my problem and I was able to get to the download page.

Tried this twice now and still no luck. Also still not in market:(