i cant restore whatsapp on my new phone properly. contacts appearing, chat history isnt

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm moving from an S6 Edge to a newer S6. The Edge is having all sorts of issues so time to move on. Anyway I tried moving whatsapp last night and although the contacts came through I lost all my chat history. I don't know for sure that all the contacts came through but whatever. The important thing is there's zero chat history. I've now moved back to the old phone, and have restored everything there. But that's just a short-term fix.

Something similar has happened before. I was moving from an HTC that was about to die to the S6 Edge that is now problematic. At the time I also lost some chat history, but that was only a month. This time it's 3 years. Yikes. And last time when the backup was problematic, at least my phone reverted to the last acceptable backup and used that (which is what caused the month's data loss). That didn't happen this time.

One thing that I started doing after the last fiasco was I started also backing up to google drive so there's another backup. I'm hoping there's something there that can fix this. But I went to my google drive it seems like the backups aren't visible. Google seems to confirm this. I need to find out if my google drive has multiple backups or just the most recent one.

I should also mention when I tried moving to the new phone last night, it took like 30-60 mins for whatsapp to import whatever it was doing. Not sure what that was about.

One assumption I'm making is that my current phone is faulty and is making faulty backups. But I don't know if that's even a thing. Is a faulty backup even possible? Either way, I have no idea where to look next. And in my experience the official whatsapp support is horribly useless. Someone please help!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Contact WhatsApp by email and ask. Helium is no longer supported - since the end of 2013 (so it doesn't work on newer versions of Android). TWRP (and, I presume CWM) backup will back up and restore the entire phone. But individual backups are up to the developers.

One assumption I'm making is that my current phone is faulty and is making faulty backups. But I don't know if that's even a thing. Is a faulty backup even possible?
Anything's possible, but an app making a partial backup (or a full backup but only a partial restore) is almost always the app's fault.

And if the developers don't support their app, there's not much you can do (other than develop a similar enough app that works with their server, then support it yourself).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11