How to fix "must unlock phone first" error

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Android auto has worked great for me for a few years and an update has ruined it and I cant find the setting. Any help is appreciated.

1st problem is when I use the voice command to text so and so it says "I can help with that but first you must unlock your phone" after this dangerous while driving maneuver still nothing happens not sure what setting it could be.

2nd problem is using google maps and using any kind of voice command like "navigate to etc etc" the voice says you have a few options pick from these choices. Nothing pops up on screen to pick from. It's like the android auto maps isn't linked to the phone maps or something.

Gone through a bunch of google assistant, android auto, and note 8 settings and cant figure this one out. Cleared cache and data on maps and AA.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you connect the phone to your car's Bluetooth and set the car system as a Trusted Device in Smart Lock?

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Adding it to the smart lock list allowed the voice commands to go through but it still doesnt work.

For example "text so and so" voice commands confirms the message but nothing is sent. Maps still doesnt come up with voice commands either.

Hmmmmmm

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Is it still telling you that you have to unlock the phone first, or is that gone at least?
Yeah that is gone. It will confirm the message ask if i want to send. I say send and nothing gets sent. I also don't like the fact that the phone is always unlocked now everytime I turn the car on....... not sure why they made that change.

I think it has to do with android auto using google assistant now. I'm combing through those settings turning every thing on and testing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open your Google app, then tap More>Settings>Google Assistant>Personalization. Is "Lock screen personal results" toggled on? If not, try turning that on and turn Smart Lock off again.

chomorro

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Open your Google app, then tap More>Settings>Google Assistant>Personalization. Is "Lock screen personal results" toggled on? If not, try turning that on and turn Smart Lock off again.
Fixed it. Somehow my google assistant was turned to one of my other gmail accounts. Switched it back to my main account and mo everything works as it should without using smart lock.

I must have changed it messing around with settings accidentally. Unfortunately I dont know which settings turns what on but at least its fixed.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member