Android auto help

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
I love love love the S21 but android auto is completely ruining everything for me.

It just has so many bugs, the volume control doesn’t reset after using Google assistant. Music resumes (when it actually does) playing at the voice volume level not the audio volume level. Fixed by initiating Google assistant again and canceling it.

The screen will go blank when navigating the interface on my cars screen.

Google assistant doesn’t always hear what I say even if it’s back to back requests or confirmations.

This next one may or may not be Apple Music app. When I select an album on the cars display it auto shuffles the album. If I select the album on my phone screen it plays in order.

Music doesn’t always resume after using Google assistant.

I never actually installed the android auto app. That’s because it never prompted me to do so. I am guessing that it is baked into android itself now. The AA settings are in the phone settings now.

Normally I would just right it off and be like oh well I tried and send the phone back. That was my initial plan a few days ago and I requested a return kit. Now that I am back on iPhone I miss literally everything about that phone.

If anyone has any suggestions I could possible try to resolve some of these issues that would be awesome. I really don’t want to get rid of this phone at all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Android Auto, but I can tell you that it's baked into Android now. (I've never used it, or wanted to install it, but it's in my Pixel 2 settings.)

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
I've had nothing but troubles with Android Auto and my S10 for past 2 weeks now. Unsupported device error, black screen, won't connect at all.
(And yes, it has worked flawlessly in the past)......and my wife's Iphone connects with no issues.

Uninstaller, reinstall, replaced cables nothing helps. I did a "restore factory settings" yesterday...........but still Android Auto might connect, but nothing works, or I might get the black screen.

I'm done...........we pay lots of money for these devices, and when I can't even get help from Samsung I quit!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had nothing but troubles with Android Auto and my S10 for past 2 weeks now. Unsupported device error, black screen, won't connect at all.
(And yes, it has worked flawlessly in the past)......and my wife's Iphone connects with no issues.

Uninstaller, reinstall, replaced cables nothing helps. I did a "restore factory settings" yesterday...........but still Android Auto might connect, but nothing works, or I might get the black screen.

I'm done...........we pay lots of money for these devices, and when I can't even get help from Samsung I quit!
Is there any updated firmware for your car's head unit?

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried uninstall the update to AA?
From what see you can not uninstall the update.

All you can do is uncheck the box for enable auto updates. Which I have done.

Also...you can not completely uninstall AA because it is part of Androids operating system now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
From what see you can not uninstall the update.

All you can do is uncheck the box for enable auto updates. Which I have done.

Also...you can not completely uninstall AA because it is part of Androids operating system now.
Go to settings>apps>AA then tap> 3 dots upper right corner tap then UninstallScreenshot_20210313-123046_Settings.jpg

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Go to settings>apps>AA then tap> 3 dots upper right corner tap then UninstallView attachment 332663
And again.....as soon as you plug into the car you get the install update message....even though the box to install updates isn't checked.
ef79772167a45b7cb48b41a1c161bd07.jpg
d3447fd469431a74345ed4962acba142.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So.......would it make a difference if I put the Firmware updates on a memory card? Then connect card to my USB?

Or do they have to go on an actual USB drive?

I put them on a card, but Kenwood isn't reading the card.
Usually that's how you update the head unit with firmware on sd card , does it read it on a phone or computer?

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Usually that's how you update the head unit with firmware on sd card , does it read it on a phone or computer?
I will try inserting the card in my tablet tomorrow.

I don't have a laptop or PC. I downloaded the files to a memory at work.

I'm just wondering if if has to be an actual USB drive or if the card reader will work.

I actually did an "initialization" today to the Kenwood...it's like a "factory settings restore".

Android Auto icon would appear on the Kenwood, I click on it...and get either a frozen black screen, or a frozen Google maps screen.

This whole thing is extremely frustrating.......especially because it was working until something updated.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I will try inserting the card in my tablet tomorrow.

I don't have a laptop or PC. I downloaded the files to a memory at work.

I'm just wondering if if has to be an actual USB drive or if the card reader will work.

I actually did an "initialization" today to the Kenwood...it's like a "factory settings restore".

Android Auto icon would appear on the Kenwood, I click on it...and get either a frozen black screen, or a frozen Google maps screen.

This whole thing is extremely frustrating.......especially because it was working until something updated.
I understand can be frustrating, I work in automotive business, I know some of the aftermarket head unit cause issues with AA , even the original equipment do but usually firmware updates get them going or AA update , but I believe like you something changed but should try get the Kenwood to latest update . Keep us posted in your finding.

ronnies62

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
I understand can be frustrating, I work in automotive business, I know some of the aftermarket head unit cause issues with AA , even the original equipment do but usually firmware updates get them going or AA update , but I believe like you something changed but should try get the Kenwood to latest update . Keep us posted in your finding.
Well I aliminated 1 possiblity....I went to local T-Mobile store today. We took an Android phone and connected it my Kenwood receiver. We got the same issues/errors that my phone was getting.
So it looks like my phone isn't the problem, it's my Kenwood.

Now I'm trying to update the firmware....but having issues.

Thanks for all the help

rkeVader

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Android Auto for several years now. First with a Ford Edge and now with a Nissan Murano (my preowned 2016 Murano didn't come with AA so I replaced the radio with a newer Murano's unit from a junk yard and have been happily back on AA since).

Overall I love Android Auto and it has worked fairly reliably for me. I primarily use it for navigation and music and mostly control it by voice.

I really only have a few small complaints - first is that despite having the 'resume media' setting turned off, sporadically when turning the car on, a media app (iHeartRadio, Audible, etc) will start up at fairly high volume. Very annoying but not sure if it's AA or the apps fault... If anybody know how to address this, I'd much appreciate it.

Another oddity is that some app icons disappear from the home screen and aren't available to add back manually. If I start the app on the phone in this case, it will sometimes cause the icon to appear on the AA screen and the audio controls to appear. Other times it does not, but the icons generally reappear after a few days.

Early on in my use (in the Ford Edge) AA would freeze and I'd have to reboot the phone, but that issue seemed to have been fixed because I have not seen that happen for several years.

Not a problem with AA itself but I'd love more AA-compatible apps. For example, I'd love to have MyQ so I could open my garage door from the AA and see the door status. A SmartThings app would also be nice so I could control lighting when close to home. I would also love AA support for my Rest Area app - either that or better rest area search/filtering in Maps itself - I currently just ask google to navigate to the nearest rest area, but it doesn't always work.

Overall, happy with AA as a driving tool.

colorado_al

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Phone is a OnePlus 7T. I have AA in 3 vehicles.

In my '09 Subaru I installed a Dual DMCPA9BT head unit for $150 + install parts and it has been great! No problems on that unit at all. It is the cheapest unit I have and it actually works the best out of all of them.

In my '03 Dodge Sprinter I installed a Sony XAV-AX8000. AA works great in this unit too, but don't buy this head unit. The screen super sucks! Resistive touch is crap and the matte finish makes it impossible to see with polarized sunglasses on.

In my '20 Ford Escape I have the factory entertainment with HD radio and touchscreen and B&O 10 speaker system. This unit had a problem where I could not hear incoming phone callers and they could not hear me, if Android Auto was running. If I placed an outgoing call it worked fine, or if I was using the car's UI by bluetooth it worked fine. It turns out that it is a known problem with Ford's SYNC3 software. In the settings in SYNC3 you have to navigate to sound > ringtone and set the ringtone to "use phone's ringtone" and then it works correctly when answering calls in AA.

The one nitpick I have with AA is that when text messages come in and i listen to them and then another text from the same person comes in, AA reads the already heard texts again before reading the new one.

Otherwise, AA is working great for me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well I aliminated 1 possiblity....I went to local T-Mobile store today. We took an Android phone and connected it my Kenwood receiver. We got the same issues/errors that my phone was getting.
So it looks like my phone isn't the problem, it's my Kenwood.

Now I'm trying to update the firmware....but having issues.

Thanks for all the help

Glad you looked more into it , yeah see if you can update it otherwise might have to replace it , Your Welcome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance