Pioneer 8100 install guide for 2009 Honda Civic hybrid with Nav

dontknow61

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have been looking around for guides on how to replace my factory 2009 Honda Civic hybrid with Nav unit with one of the Pioneer Nex units. I have some idea how to take my car apart from other Honda civic install videos. But most of them are replacing a single din factory unit with a new plastic module for a double din. I just wanted to know what I can use from my factory double din unit. It has a mic, xm radio antenna, steering wheel controls, aux USB, and navigation car antenna. I also am wondering how the Pioneer unit would fit. I already have a double din factory Nav(will the unit be smaller and leave gaps in the dash) . I am fairly technical and know that I will at least have to get a wiring harness to hook up the factory speakers and amp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I also am wondering how the Pioneer unit would fit. I already have a double din factory Nav(will the unit be smaller and leave gaps in the dash)
DIN isn't a name, it's a specification that includes a size. So is double-DIN. It's like asking if your quart of milk will fit in my quart container.

I am fairly technical and know that I will at least have to get a wiring harness to hook up the factory speakers and amp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Search the web for the installation guide. I think this is the one.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
If you're planning to do the install yourself, I suggest you go to Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV and put in the make/model of your car along with the 8100NEX. The site will then tell you what you need to make it all work.

I can't tell you right off whether your existing GPS and XM satellite antennas will be of any use (or if they'll fit the new head unit). The 8100NEX comes with its own GPS antenna and its own microphone. I installed the GPS antenna on my front dash centered at the bottom of the windshield. I ran the wire along the edge between the glass and the dash, and then into the trim, down behind the glove box and to the head unit. All the wiring is hidden. I installed the microphone onto my sun visor and ran its wire under the trim of the front windshield frame, down behind the dash and to the head unit. Again, all the wiring is hidden.

Also, I don't know if your car's factory XM satellite tuner will be retained. Mine was integrated into the factory head unit, so I had to buy a $49 tuner to get my Sirius XM back. The new tuner came with its own antenna. I couldn't find the lead from the factory-installed XM antenna (probably integrated into the factory harness some kind of way), so I ran the new one and put it right behind the original on the roof. It's magnetic. I ran the wire under the back window rubber seal, so the wiring is completely hidden.

To get your steering wheel controls to work, you'll need some kind of interface module. I used an iDataLink Maestro ADS-MRR unit. You must flash the correct firmware onto it in order to "program" it for your make/model of car and the 8100NEX. (Note: When you attempt to program it, the iDataLink website will ask you for the serial number of your 8100NEX. You must use the six numeric digits embedded in the middle of the serial number, not the "last six digits" as the website will suggest, and not the entire serial number. Otherwise, the website will tell you that your serial number is invalid.)

As for the fit, you'll want to get a dash kit for your make/model car. Crutchfield included the kit for free with my order. That will include all the bezels and mounting brackets you'll need to put the 8100NEX in place and give the installation a nice factory-installed look.

Also, be prepared to do some wire splicing. (I used crimp caps for my wiring.). You'll need to go into your dash (beneath the steering wheel) to access the wiring for your OBDII in order to splice into it for part of the installation, if you want the head unit to be able to interface with your on-board diagnostics. The iDataLink Maestro installation instructions for your make/model of car will have the necessary wire diagrams. How you do the wiring will also depend on whether you're using the car's factory amp or your own.

If none of that scares you, the go for it; otherwise, let a professional do it. I took extra time and care to get everything the way I wanted it on my Dodge Charger, but it was not a trivial matter. Care has to be taken. (Be sure to unplug your car's battery or you could fry your new head unit and other dash controls as you disassemble and reassemble things.)

Good luck.

dontknow61

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was trying to keep things as stock as possible. But that may be easier said than done. I did see they have a mastersheet at Crutchfield for my car. I will order that and see the wiring involved. Thanks again.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was trying to keep things as stock as possible. But that may be easier said than done. I did see they have a mastersheet at Crutchfield for my car. I will order that and see the wiring involved. Thanks again.

Despite its name, the mastersheet only covers doing the basic physical install of the head unit and possible speaker placement stuff. The real instructions you need have to do with the interface module and how that's wired. That's the thing that will retain your OEM functions, and it's the thing that requires specific wiring between your factory harness and the T-Harness that you'll need for use with your car. For the most part, you just match colors with the wiring; however, there may be some wires you use and others you specifically should NOT. The instructions should be available on the iDatalink site (and yes, they are specific to individual combinations of car and/or head unit), so be sure to grab the correct one.

dontknow61

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh OK. Thanks. If I may ask, what made you chose the AVIC-8100NEX over the AVIC-7100NEX? I see the 7100 on Amazon for 850$ and was wondering the pros and cons of each.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you get the correct harness adapter & antenna adapter. The 09-11 with OEM navigation has different connectors vs the 06-08 with OEM navigation.

Get a trim ring (part number HA1561TRB) from Scocshe. This will give you a clean look around the Pioneer radio once it's installed into the OEM Honda navigation bezel.

Edit:

You'll loose your OEM AUX, USB, and XM. Nothing I know of will allow you to retain the OEM XM, but...

The OEM AUX port can be modified to use the Pioneer AUX cable.

The OEM USB port in the center console can be reused if you get a USB adapter from an 09-11 Fit. You'll need to unplug the Civic's USB connection from under the center console and plug the Fit USB adapter into it. Use a male to male USB cable from the Pioneer to the Fit USB adapter.

Do yourself a favor and research the idatalink interface before buying it.

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh OK. Thanks. If I may ask, what made you chose the AVIC-8100NEX over the AVIC-7100NEX? I see the 7100 on Amazon for 850$ and was wondering the pros and cons of each.

Other than the capacitive touchscreen, I simply wanted the top-of-the-line model. No compromises. I bought from Crutchfield (they include lifetime technical support).

You have to decide for yourself what is most important to you.

yocubed

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
to add to the above information by Insp_gadget, All of which is excellent BTW, I was able to reuse the existing XM and GPS antennas of my Jeep Grand Cherokee with my 8100 with the following antenna adapters:
now this may vary based on your particular car's wiring. I've done a number of car audio installs from simple head unit replacement to fabricating custom install pieces so this was all fairly easy for me but given the complexity can be intimidating. My suggestion is to take your time and thoroughly read through the install instructions of each piece of equipment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38