Do I need to install a new version of Android Auto in my car?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've read the recent articles on the "update" to Android Auto and how you can now "do it yourself" install in your car. I already have Android Auto installed in my 2016 Hyundai Sonata, which I installed myself however many months ago. Should I download it again off Hyundai's website and install it (again) in my car? I can't find anything anywhere about version numbers for the software that gets installed in your car, couldn't find anything showing the version number for AA when I was tapping around the menu on the screen in my Sonata. None of the articles I've read say anything about current AA users needing to update the software installed in your car.

So, if anyone has any more info, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring the car ro a Hyundai dealer's service department and ask if they have an update for the head unit. (If it's not something Hyundai uses, they won't, and you're on your own - you'll leave it alone or you'll try to update it and either update or brick it.) If it's one of theirs, and there's a service bulletin (an update), they'll guarantee the work of installing it.

posman53

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've read the recent articles on the "update" to Android Auto and how you can now "do it yourself" install in your car. I already have Android Auto installed in my 2016 Hyundai Sonata, which I installed myself however many months ago. Should I download it again off Hyundai's website and install it (again) in my car? I can't find anything anywhere about version numbers for the software that gets installed in your car, couldn't find anything showing the version number for AA when I was tapping around the menu on the screen in my Sonata. None of the articles I've read say anything about current AA users needing to update the software installed in your car.

So, if anyone has any more info, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

It's a new version. You install it yourself to the car's SD card. Saves spending 90 bucks at the dealer. Also updates the car's gps and maps for free. Make sure to use the car's SD card.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Do note that this isn't a "new version of Android Auto" for your car ... Android Auto lives on your phone. This updates the firmware/software on your car's infotainment system.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Any recent articles that you read were actually referring to Hyundai releasing the carplay update from Apple into their head units. I saw a couple stories that referred to this as an Android auto update as well which is just bad reporting.

That being said, I would definitely encourage you to install this Apple carplay update because in order to make it work they needed to include a map update to version 9.5 of the in-dash navigation maps. If you never updated to map version 9.5 then you are essentially getting a free map update when you run this carplay installation.

Login to your my Hyundai account and go to the downloads section. Make sure that you are going to the Apple carplay download and not the Android auto download. There is no new update to Android auto for Hyundai.

Make sure that your car is compatible based on the compatibility matrix that is on the site. You take the SD card out of your car and connect it to your computer. That is how it tells what map version you have and what you need to be updated to for the carplay update to work. When the update is done you will end up with both Android auto and Apple carplay icons on your head unit.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Do note that this isn't a "new version of Android Auto" for your car ... Android Auto lives on your phone. This updates the firmware/software on your car's infotainment system.

MyHyundai shows the availability of this firmware/software update for my 2016 Sonata Limited, with Navigation. Car purchased Nov. 2015.

So it apparently adds Car Play, but are there any changes (good or bad) regarding Android Auto implementation, or any other head unit functionality?

Knowing that from time to time, with all technology, 'updates' break things that are currently working fine, so unless there's something to gain, is there any need to do this update (I have no interest in Car Play).

Thanks.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
MyHyundai shows the availability of this firmware/software update for my 2016 Sonata Limited, with Navigation. Car purchased Nov. 2015.

So it apparently adds Car Play, but are there any changes (good or bad) regarding Android Auto implementation, or any other head unit functionality?

Knowing that from time to time, with all technology, 'updates' break things that are currently working fine, so unless there's something to gain, is there any need to do this update (I have no interest in Car Play).

Thanks.
What version of maps do you have?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Is the carplay update available for Sonatas now? I got a 2016. Last I heard it was in the works. I don't use iPhones but if the carplay update requires a new factory nav maps version, I'd love to get a free maps update (they normally charge for those...rip off lol)

I was just at dealer last week for oil change. Told it got a firmware update. But that was for the cars ECU. Don't think it had anything to do with the multimedia system.