Question How do I keep YouTube/Android from Auto-Updating Itself EVEN if I disabled Auto-Updating already?

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
Greetings Android Central

Thank you for allowing me to become part of your community. I hope to be able to get solutions from this forum with regards to my inquiries regarding an issue that has occurred on my ancient but quite reliable Pocophone F1 running on MIUI Global 12.0.3.0 (QEJMIXM) with Android Version 10 QKQ1.190828.002.

For the longest time, I have enjoyed a certain YouTube version wherein on my Pocophone F1, you can lock the screen to landscape mode as I wanted the video to fill its screen. Then, if I wanted to change the video that I'm watching, I would just have to tap, hold and drag the screen down to see the other options I can choose. I just scroll to my desired video and tap on that. I believe that version was YouTube 17.31.35. When YouTube autoupdated then, I couldn't anymore tap, hold and drag to minimize the video. So I uninstalled the latest video; re-installed YouTube 17.31.35 and then DISABLED AUTO UPDATE.

I enjoyed that version until recently last December when all of a sudden, YouTube just autoupdated itself to version 18.49.xx (I recall). So I thought the solution was to uninstall the update and re-install my desired version. BUT now it just auto-updates to the latest YouTube version EVEN IF I DISABLED AUTO-UPDATING option.

Maybe I'm missing something here so anyone who can help here in this community is going to be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bostontecalo

Jan 26, 2024
Visit site
It seems like the auto-update setting might not be holding.

Follow these steps:

• Uninstall the YouTube updates and go to the Google Play Store.
  • Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left, go to "Settings."
  • Under "General," look for "Auto-update apps."
  • Select "Don't auto-update apps" or choose "Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only."

As far as I know, this should prevent automatic updates. But if the issue persists, consider using third-party app stores that allow version selection or explore YouTube alternatives with the features you desire.

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
It seems like the auto-update setting might not be holding.

Follow these steps:

• Uninstall the YouTube updates and go to the Google Play Store.
  • Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left, go to "Settings."
  • Under "General," look for "Auto-update apps."
  • Select "Don't auto-update apps" or choose "Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only."

As far as I know, this should prevent automatic updates. But if the issue persists, consider using third-party app stores that allow version selection or explore YouTube alternatives with the features you desire.
Actually I've done everything I can. Currently, it has gotten worse. Now it will prompt a pop-up window with an UPDATE button such that if you don't click it, you won't be able to acceess and watch any YouTube content. It appears that YouTube's forcing you to have the latest FW for some reason.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What if you go to play store, search YouTube then tap on it in the upper right corner tap and check off auto update?
0708b092788d407eba06fee9a5e8d637.jpg

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
In You Tube Landscape mode don't you have a more videos tab / thumbnail that brings up the horizontal list of other videos.

I have a Poco F2 from new btw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-03-21-23-02-205_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-03-21-23-02-205_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_2024-02-03-21-23-17-313_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-03-21-23-17-313_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
In You Tube Landscape mode don't you have a more videos tab / thumbnail that brings up the horizontal list of other videos.

I have a Poco F2 from new btw.
Hi @Madd62 . Yes I have but it's not the same with what I wanted back then. I'll try to post a video of it here for all of you to see how convenient that would be as I won't need to flip my phone vertically to find other content to watch. The idea here is to keep my phone stationary on its landscape orientation and then just fiddle with the YouTube navigation and controls. Now, I need to flip it vertically in order to say, read the comments, unlike then when I can access it by clicking the comments icon and it automatically shows on the side. YES, it does have this same feature currently BUT in order for me to watch or navigate to other views, I need to flip the phone to its vertical orientation. It's really annoying.

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
• Thanks @mustang7757 for thinking positively about this matter.

• Currently, if you have installed an old version of YouTube, at first, I can use it with the old version's navigation format. But after closing and re-opening the YouTube app, an UPDATE window will prompt such that you cannot access YouTube unless you update to the latest version.

• If anyone knows how to override the supposed AUTO-UPDATING of the YouTube app even by tinkering through the developer options of my smartphone, kindly provide solutions. Thank You.

Reactions: mustang7757

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site

• This is my preferred YouTube navigation format where I can:

1. Lock the YouTube app screen to its landscape/horizontal layout.
2. Minimize the YouTube video currently playing to the bottom of the screen (Horizontal layout) and the ability to navigate (scroll up and down) and browse other videos suggested by YouTube.
3. Read the comments by just clicking the comment icon and the comment section slides through from the right where the smartphone is still at its horizontal position.

• The reason why I prefer this navigation format is because I don't want to keep on flipping my phone from its horizontal position to vertical so that I can navigate/browse other videos OR read the comments. That's what's the latest YouTube version does (version 19.05.35). It's because I exercise on the treadmill everyday with my smartphone attached to a holder at its center console. With one of my hands holding its rail, you can imagine how annoying it would be when I have to flip vertically and horizontally my smartphone time and again to access YouTube comments or other videos on my Home page or even from the search results.

• I have already done everything to prevent YouTube, Google Play Store or even my Smartphone settings from AUTO-UPDATING YouTube. At first it worked but around mid-to-late December 2023, after, perhaps Google Play Store updated, it may have prompted AUTO-UPDATING its native apps such as YouTube such that even AUTO-UPDATING IS DEACTIVATED, IT WILL OVERRIDE the setting and would AUTO-UPDATE YouTube on its own.

• Currently, if you have installed an old version of YouTube, at first, I can use it with the old version's navigation format. But after closing and re-opening the YouTube app, an UPDATE window will prompt such that you cannot access YouTube unless you update to the latest version.

• If anyone knows how to override the supposed AUTO-UPDATING of the YouTube app even by tinkering through the developer options of my smartphone, kindly provide solutions. Thank You.

• Current Smartphone: Pocophone F1 running on MIUI Global 12.0.3.0 (QEJMIXM) with Android Version 10 QKQ1.190828.002.

@mustang7757 @Madd62 @bostontecalo

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
• Thanks @mustang7757 for thinking positively about this matter.

You don't have multiple devices where in the play store settings if u have one app it adds to the other device? Instant apps are off in play store settings?

fathom-avant

Jun 9, 2022
Visit site
Definitely strange issue your having
Hi @mustang7757 . Got this response from another forum which frankly, makes lot of sense albeit saddening.

“Google has phased out support for older versions of the YouTube app on Android 10 and newer devices. This means there's no official way to force the app to stay in its old navigation format or prevent the update prompt from appearing.”

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi @mustang7757 . Got this response from another forum which frankly, makes lot of sense albeit saddening.

“Google has phased out support for older versions of the YouTube app on Android 10 and newer devices. This means there's no official way to force the app to stay in its old navigation format or prevent the update prompt from appearing.”
Ok they can phase out older YouTube app but once you disable or uncheck the auto update in play store it shouldn't update any longer so something with your device or how MIUI is handling this

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos