AA questions with a 2016 Vette

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello. New to this forum but have had Android Auto for a few months now. There is so much I could write and/or ask about AA. Let me try to list a few things and then we can go from there. For the record I have a 2016 Corvette with AA installed and use a Galaxy S7 with Marshmallow.
  • HUD integration - This is such a big one for me I'm moving it up top... There... That's better... Not all cars have this but the Vette comes with a Heads Up Display (HUD). The HUD projects onto the windshield things like your speed, the tach, G force, etc. It's a great thing! One thing that MyLink (GM's Infotainment software) did, which I really miss, is when using the OEM navigation and an upcoming turn/exit was coming up the HUD would display the direction of the turn, the name of the exit/street and a progress bar of sorts that counted down the distance until the exit. All you do is look straight ahead, mind your speed and tach and the alert of the impending turn. I had high hopes that might Google and AA would get this right and integrate with HUD such that that functionality would still work when using Google Maps in AA. Alas it doesn't. What is it with this functionality? No aftermarket head unit to my knowledge supports the HUD. AA, using the OEM's head unit I would have hoped (hell I did hope) would use that functionality. What exactly is the problem? Is it an API that GM will not divulge to Google? It would be ultra cool if this worked.
  • While I'm at it, MyLink also has the ability to display a little speed limit sign in the DIC (Driver Information Cluster) at the center of the main display as well as in the HUD which shows you the speed limit on the current road (if known). This is excellent when you come out of the back roads and head into some 3 stop light town and want to know "is this 40 MPH or 30 MPH or what". Now I believe MyLink does it via a subscription to Onstar or XM Radio or whatever in order to download the data. But surely AA could get this over the net from the phone. The question is, can they display it like MyLink does? If not in the DIC and/or HUD at least put the speed limit sign on the map in the main Google Maps/AA display!
  • Sometimes it's difficult to first connect to AA when I first get in the car. Sometimes it just works. Other times I have to hit my "home" button, which is the Chevy MyLink (2.x I believe) system where I placed the "projection" icon there which shows AA. Sometimes it doesn't show AA and if I hit the projection button it then shows the AA icon and I can get in. Other times it'll tell me there is no device connected. But there is. Other times I have to disconnect the USB connection and reconnect it. Why does this happen?
  • Speaking of USB connections... I hear some people asking about using WiFi instead of USB. But why not just use Bluetooth? I note that when connected, my phone's phone bluetooth profile is connected but my phone's media bluetooth connection is not. I assume the sound is going through the USB cable. Great. Even sounds more powerful. But I've had times when I get a very high pitched squeak of a song when doing things with my phone when connected. Probably not good for the speakers.
  • AA is supposed to make it hard for you to use your phone while driving however all one needs to do is to is hit the recent apps button then select an app, any app, then use the previous button and viola - there you are at your launcher (BTW I use the KK Launcher...). Ssssshhhhh - don't tell anybody.
  • I find it odd that when I enter my car, after say a pit stop, and start it with AA connected, I have to go and find the Audio app and select play. Hey if I was playing when I stopped can you just play when I get back? I mean I most often use AA with Maps display but with BeyondPod (my Podcatcher) playing. When I re-enter my car I find it a bother to have to select the auto player button, hit play, then go back to the maps application. Ya know what? Remove that stupid exit button (far right on the bottom) as it only has "Return to MyLink" selection on it (if I want to return to MyLink I can just hit the physical home button) and replace it with a play/pause button! Will Google ever entertain such ideas?
  • I've found that I can search for something, say McDonalds, and AA will offer to add it as a stop. But it seems to only have one stop. IOW you can't add another stop. IMHO Google Maps (desktop/phone/whatever) should implement multi waypoint trips. You should be able to go to http://maps.google.com and plan a trip with several stops and then send that to your phone to be displayed by AA.
  • In general AA is sluggish at times. What doesn't make sense about this is as I understand it AA is largely the app on your phone. My phone is hardly an underpowered device. As for the head unit all it needs to do is draw things on the screen the the AA app say draw (Ok and yes, send back touch input). So where exactly is the slow down?
  • The "weather", or lack thereof, is pretty poor. Even MyLink has better weather!

Well I got long winded and there is probably some things I left out. But it's a start. Note if there's any place to submit such gripes/complaints/suggestions other than blowing smoke here then by all means let me know.

anon(24178)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You have a lot of points, so I'll number mine for easier reading. BTW, I drive a '16 Chevy colorado and also have Chevy MyLink.
  1. Corvette Hud - This is specific and unique for the corvette. It is likely a highly specialized API that android auto does not use.
  2. Speed Limit Sign - I believe this actually comes from the version of maps loaded into the software, not from XM subscription. You can still use android auto and configure your dash to display the speed limit. See item above about HUD integration
  3. Connection Issues - I have this issue also on 1 USB port. I have 2 others for back passengers and it works flawlessly in those. I'm looking to schedule a service appointment to have the port looked at (it's also very loose and allows the cable to wiggle from side to side).
  4. Wifi - Bluetooth typically can only perform one of 3 actions at one time. Transfer data, act as headphones, or act as a headset. When you connect with android auto, it already connects through bluetooth as a headset for voice controls and phone calls. It will need either wifi or USB to transmit data to the MyLink head unit.
  5. Phone Access - Yes, we know. Please be cautious.
  6. Auto Play - It might depend on the app. Pandora works for me, but I usually start my truck, then connect. I don't connect before starting the car. maybe that;s the difference.
  7. MultiStop - More of a google maps issue than an android auto issue.
  8. Response Time - Mine is very responsive.
  9. Weather - I just use an app and not my car for weather forecasts.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
You have a lot of points, so I'll number mine for easier reading. BTW, I drive a '16 Chevy colorado and also have Chevy MyLink.

• Corvette Hud - This is specific and unique for the corvette. It is likely a highly specialized API that android auto does not use.

• Yes but why doesn't AA use it? My guess is that GM (or whoever wrote the code) has not divulged the API such that Google Engineers could call it. Perhaps Google doesn't want to write specialized code for cars that have HUDs. Maybe the hardware interface lacks the ability. In any event, I really don't like losing that functionality.

[*]Speed Limit Sign - I believe this actually comes from the version of maps loaded into the software, not from XM subscription. You can still use android auto and configure your dash to display the speed limit. See item above about HUD integration

If it is not coming from a service then it's certainly gonna become stale quickly. And yes I know I can configure the DIC to have the speed limit sign but then I can't use other configurations in the DIC (I tend to use the Audio one as I'm most often listening to audio and interacting with that).

[*]Connection Issues - I have this issue also on 1 USB port. I have 2 others for back passengers and it works flawlessly in those. I'm looking to schedule a service appointment to have the port looked at (it's also very loose and allows the cable to wiggle from side to side).

I'm running one wire into the center console and it behave erratically at times. Sometimes I have to unplug and re-plug it in to get it to recognize.

[*]Wifi - Bluetooth typically can only perform one of 3 actions at one time. Transfer data, act as headphones, or act as a headset. When you connect with android auto, it already connects through bluetooth as a headset for voice controls and phone calls. It will need either wifi or USB to transmit data to the MyLink head unit.

When using AA it's been my observation that the phone will use BT for calls but not for Media. I don't understand why USB or Wifi is required to transmit data. BT can transmit data too, no?

[*]Auto Play - It might depend on the app. Pandora works for me, but I usually start my truck, then connect. I don't connect before starting the car. maybe that;s the difference.

I use 4 audio apps - Google Music, BeyondPod, TuneIn and Audible. None autostart but I will experiment with the connect first to see if it changes the behavior. I don't recall it doing that.

[*]MultiStop - More of a google maps issue than an android auto issue.

Yes so there's hope!

[*]Weather - I just use an app and not my car for weather forecasts.

Exactly, which means, if you are in your car and AA is connected, you (generally) can't use your weather app. As you know you could look at Weather in MyLink. In fact, I switch from AA to MyLink to check the weather then go back. But it'd be better if it was just in AA.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
According to Apple announces updates to CarPlay and Maps:

[CarPlay] will also start integrating with some instrument clusters for turn-by-turn directions right in front of drivers' eyes, instead of needing to look to the display in the center console or listening for voice instructions.

Some have rumored that this will display turn by turn in the HUD of GM cars like the Corvette. Now I'm not an iPhone guy but they also said:

Google has deployed a similar feature in Android Auto.

Has Google deployed a similar feature? Which cars and instrument clusters do they support?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer