Angry Apes - beta testing, new game

jacobh

Jan 2, 2011
angryapesgame.com
I just released a (my first) new game on the Android Market, and I'm looking for beta testers and feedback! :D

The game is about some apes who got their bananas stolen by a bunch of toucan birds, and their attempt to scare away the birds and get their bananas back. It might remind you of a combination of a few other games, but it's got different game play, and vector graphics that you can zoom in as far as you want to see the details. It's also got stereo positioned sound effects to make you feel like you're in the middle of the action.

The only device I've been able to test it on so far is my own Samsung Epic 4G, so any feedback about how it runs on your device would be helpful. It runs pretty well on my device, but I suspect it may not run so well on older devices?

https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.accelermedia.AngryApes

Thanks in advance for trying out the game! I appreciate any feedback you can give me, and will try to incorporate requests where possible.

Jacob

Last edited:
Reactions: androidsamurai

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey Jacob,
I thought you said you wanted beta testers to test out your app. The app is priced. Do you have a free version of the app. This would work out better for you in testers feedback.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok...here's the thing. I'm a game geek, so I can adapt quite easily to any game. Here is where most users might have some complications. 1) To be able to fully control the direction of the cannon. 2) It's not as intuitive as Angry birds - anyone can play angry birds, it's just that simple.

Things I like; The graphics and interface of the game is awesome. 2) Love the music / sound of the game.

Suggestion: Could you make the control a bit easier to maneuver.

jacobh

Jan 2, 2011
angryapesgame.com
Great! Thanks for the feedback Rushrl!

About the aiming controls, is it because the projectile usually hits lower than you would expect it to?

Currently, the power of the canon is determined by how far away from it you click, but gravity has an effect too, especially if you're aiming low. Maybe it would be better if it tried to automatically compensate for gravity, and apply more upward force, in order to make the projectile hit closer to wher the user touched? The way it is now it's more leaving it up to the user to judge by the angle and power they're applying as to where it would land. I didn't want to make it TOO easy, by making it automatically hit where ever they touch. ;-) Maybe I should make it apply a little more upward force though, to make it easier?

By the way, you can also (as an alternative way to control it) touch the canon and drag back from it in order to use it similar to a slingshot.

Do you think the instructions are clear enough?

Thanks again for trying the game! And thanks for your sugeestion, it's very helpful!
Jacob

jacobh

Jan 2, 2011
angryapesgame.com
I've reduced the amount of gravity in the game. Hopefully that makes it a little easier to control where the projectile hits?

I've adjusted the aiming controls a little bit too.

There are two different ways to aim the canon:

1. Classic Slingshot - Imagine the canon is a slingshot. Touch the canon and drag backwards to aim, then let go.

2. Single Tap - Tap anywhere on the screen to aim the canon and shoot. Control the power of the canon by how far away from the canon you tap. For shorter range shots, tap closer to the canon. Remember gravity affects canon balls too, so aim high.

https://market.android.com/details?id=air.com.accelermedia.AngryApes

Hope you enjoy! :D

Jacob

Last edited:

jacobh

Jan 2, 2011
angryapesgame.com
Thanks for all the feedback about Angry Apes so far! Thanks to some more user feedback, we've again reduced the gravity in the game overall, and adjusted the cannon so that it's power is not dependent on the angle, and it's power is only dependent on how far away from the cannon you tap. Hopefully this makes it a little bit easier to hit where you are aiming? :)

Another user request was to make it so if a user zooms out to the full screen view, that the automatic zooming would be disabled. This has been mostly implemented (the only exception is the "barrel of monkeys" which still has some auto zooming, and will be updated in the next update).

Keep the comments coming! Thanks to everyone checking out the game!

Jacob

Angry Apes Game - for Android, iPhone and Playbook