05-13-2019 11:03 AM
189 12345 ...
tools
    Thought I would update this thread. I did the following ADB command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze. Interestingly my battery drain has improved since I disabled Doze. My device (S8 G950U) now functions exactly as it did before getting some update at the end of August.

There are a number of device models having the same notification problem, many are Samsung, but some are other OEMs. In my opinion it is a code problem that is rolled out by the OEM, in my case Samsung, and likely included in some tweak they made to Bixby/Touch Wiz/Experience/AOD or the likes. I am on Nougat and do not take security updates. OnePlus has a similar problem and a very long thread in their forum that mirrors this thread. OnePlus acknowledged the problem and indicated they would fix, but a lot of time has passed and many are still having the issue so I'm not sure they ever did.

Downside to the ADB fix is you have to redo it each time you power down the phone. For those who rarely power down it is a simple, non-root fix that lasts for as long as the phone is not powered down.
    Bladet likes this.
    09-23-2018 10:30 AM
    Thought I would update this thread. I did the following ADM command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze.
    Wondering how to try this on a Pixel 2XL?
    09-25-2018 02:01 PM
    Wondering how to try this on a Pixel 2XL?
    Will, do a google search: disable bloatware adb. There is a very good step by step guide on the Xda site on how to send adb commands to your device.

After establishing the connection to your device, just send the command that I listed in my previous post. It is very easy to do.

I’ve been thrilled with the results. My battery usage has actually declined which I was not expecting and was a pleasant surprise. I don’t have apps that run in the background, except gmail. I just have to remember to not shut off my phone at night.
    09-25-2018 05:46 PM
    There is a very good step by step guide on the Xda site on how to send adb commands to your device.

After establishing the connection to your device, just send the command that I listed in my previous post. It is very easy to do.
    Thanks! I just read through the guide and it is a bit daunting but very well done. I will set aside some time to follow it. Is it correct that I would just enter this: "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" without the quotes, after step 11?
    09-26-2018 09:36 PM
    Correct!

Enter this: "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" without the quotes, after step 11.

You will get a confirmation back that it has disable the two modes of Doze.

Be sure when you are trying to open the command prompt in the adb folder on your computer that you shift-right click. That hung me up for a bit as I wasn't using shift.
    Bladet and JSNico like this.
    09-27-2018 02:02 PM
    Thought I would update this thread. I did the following ADM command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze.
    Thanks!!! After I applied the adb shell command notifications are no longer delayed on my Pixel2 with Android 9.
    09-29-2018 05:34 AM
    It's extremely sad that we have to do this on a GOOGLE phone to get real time GOOGLE email in a GOOGLE app...
    Bladet and J Dubbs like this.
    09-29-2018 09:22 AM
    It's extremely sad that we have to do this on a GOOGLE phone to get real time GOOGLE email in a GOOGLE app...
    That is not really the case. Google makes the base operating system.

Google doesn’t make phones. Google allows OEMs and Carriers to tack on other operating system features / tweaks / crap. It’s becoming hard to keep the three ring circus coordinated. Lots of finger pointing happens. The consumer ends up stuck in the middle.

iOS is a better solution to the lack of control between hardware and software. Same company, and they generally fix problems since the finger can only point at one party when it is a base OS failure. Inferior product, but in my opinion more stable.

It is with high certainty in my case, the problem is Samsung induced. By applying the doze disable command I’m happy my device has returned to being reliable again. Side benefit was the unexpected improvement in battery. 106 hours between charge when I had 38% remaining. Eight month old S8 on Android 7.0
    09-29-2018 11:11 AM
    But I'm using a Pixel 2 - so this is straight up Google's vision of what Android and Gmail should be... I've had the issue on both Oreo & Pie
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-29-2018 11:27 AM
    I wonder if this affects all Oreo & Pie users, or just a subset of them with specific parameters. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of affected Oreo & Pie users without realizing they too have this problem (because it won't happen when the phone is connected to a charger, it takes a few minutes after the screen is turned off for the problem to kick in, the notifications eventually do arrive, just not promptly, etc).
    09-29-2018 12:37 PM
    I wonder if this affects all Oreo & Pie
    I’m on nougat. 7.0. No security updates, I don’t take them. I have all OS updates disabled on my phone using PDP. I don’t automatically update apps, only manually and only after a significant amount of time passes so that bugs are ironed out by others. I also have the Google App disabled. The slow notification problem affects more than gmail.

Unfortunately my OEM can push out updates to their stuff that I can’t block, and same with my carrier.

When I was testing the problem I pulled my unrooted stock 6P out of the drawer and fired it up for the first time in 7+ months. It is no longer on a carrier. It is on 7.0. Gmail notifications came instantly. It was after this test I concluded doze is dorked up and threw the adb command at my Samsung which clearly fixed the issue.
    09-29-2018 01:47 PM
    But I'm using a Pixel 2 - so this is straight up Google's vision of what Android and Gmail should be... I've had the issue on both Oreo & Pie
    There are HTC (manufacturer of your phone) programs and tweaks. Your carrier also has stuff in there as well. The slow notification problem impacts more than just gmail.
    09-29-2018 01:50 PM
    For me, it only affects Gmail and only on the Gmail app.... BlueMail works instantly always. And so does Textra for all my texts. It's just Gmail app when phone is not charging & screen is dark for 5+ minutes or so.

I should pull out my old HTC one m8 (Marshmallow) and see what happens....

I've had this Pixel 2 since December 2017 and this only started end of August / early September. I was still on Oreo and just moved up to Pie last week.... Didn't solve it
    09-29-2018 02:03 PM
    For me, it only affects Gmail and only on the Gmail app.... BlueMail works instantly always. And so does Textra for all my texts. It's just Gmail app when phone is not charging & screen is dark for 5+ minutes or so.

I should pull out my old HTC one m8 and see what happens....

I've had this Pixel 2 since December 2017 and this only started end of August / early September. I was still on Oreo and just moved up to Pie last week.... Didn't solve it
    I have also a Pixel 2 and it affected many apps for me. I could also test/verify it with my own app by sending notifications through google firebase cloud messaging.

With "adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable" I now receive all gmails and notifications from my own app instantly all the time.
    09-29-2018 02:19 PM
    I was talking to YouMail support today about something else but I asked about an issue where I get an email and transcript of a new voicemail but when I go to the YouMail app to listen to the message, that voicemail is not shown until I drag down from the top of the screen to refresh the list. Support told me they are aware of this but can not do anything because it is a problem with the "latest Android version causing delay" in both notifications and display of messages. They said the only thing they have found that works is to refresh like I do or to just wait and eventually once the phone checks in to do something, the list will be refreshed. So it is becoming a more widely known issue and hopefully Google will fix soon.
    10-01-2018 11:16 PM
    Support told me they are aware of this but can not do anything because it is a problem with the "latest Android version causing delay" in both notifications and display of messages.
    Will,

Has to be more to it than that....I’m on nougat. 7.0. No security updates since Aug 2017.
    10-02-2018 08:28 AM
    Will,

Has to be more to it than that....I’m on nougat. 7.0. No security updates since Aug 2017.
    Interesting. This problem did not exist at all for me until the Pie update.
    10-02-2018 12:51 PM
    I did the following ADM command and it solved the notification delay problem for me: [adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable]. This disables Doze. Interestingly my battery drain has improved since I disabled Doze. My device (S8 G950U) now functions exactly as it did before getting some update at the end of August.

Downside to the ADB fix is you have to redo it each time you power down the phone.
    I got around to doing this today. Thanks! We shall see if it fixes the issue. A big problem for me at least is the powering down issue. I do normally power down my phone a couple times a week at least as I think it keeps things running smoother? If this fixes the delayed notifications on my phone, I will try to go longer, but still it will be a real pain to have to keep this fix going by doing it all over after each power off or restart!

Too bad there is not a way to make an app or something to do this with only one step. But because a usb connection to the computer is needed, I guess that is impossible?
    10-02-2018 02:21 PM
    Ironic but within 30 minutes of doing this, my phone got a Pie update which of course required a phone restart!!!!!

I don't see any security patches listed on the limited information I could find. But Google says there are several "functional" fixes, most notably fast charging. I see nothing about delayed notifications but we can hope I guess.

edit: I can verify that the October patch did nothing to fix this bug. Behavior is exactly the same now as before the update. So off to try the @Al Borland fix again.
    10-02-2018 04:29 PM
    Interesting. This problem did not exist at all for me until the Pie update.
    Something was pushed out to users if they got an update, or didn’t get an update, in my case. Perhaps a play store tweak or some other fix. I feel like mine was tied to something Samsung pushed out, but hey, it could have been google. I think google supplies base code changes that get packaged in OEM and Carrier updates to various packages.

OnePlus has the problem and they say it is their problem and they are working on a fix, not Google. A real head scratcher.

I put my phone in aircraft mode at night as opposed to shutting it down nightly. I’m 1.5 weeks into the adb fix and am really happy with the result, especially improved battery performance. I’ve saved the commands as a script on my computer so it takes 30 seconds to apply when I accidentally shut down.
    10-02-2018 05:11 PM
    Something was pushed out to users if they got an update, or didn’t get an update, in my case.

I put my phone in aircraft mode at night as opposed to shutting it down nightly.

I’ve saved the commands as a script on my computer so it takes 30 seconds to apply when I accidentally shut down.
    Well since many of us have a Google phone it must be related to Google something. It is not just one carrier either so.... The common denominator seems to be Android so if that is correct, it is a Google issue.

I often put my phone in airplane mode too. But I feel like after a week or so of not shutting it down, things start to get slow, and or, wonky. I have had a few friends with basic trouble with Pixel phones, (battery, lagging, missed calls, etc.) and I have asked how often they shut them down. They all said basically never. I suggested a restart and all of them said that fixed it.

As far as the adb tweak, it has only been a few hours, but so far so good. All my notifications are coming through immediately even after my phone has been screen off in my pocket for a long time. We will see if it sticks as long as I leave the phone powered on.

How do you save it as a script? I have Windows 10. Are the steps easy enough that you could describe what to do here? Thanks!
    10-02-2018 06:50 PM

How do you save it as a script? I have Windows 10. !
    I just store the 2 adb commands, (device and then the disable), in a note doc saved on my desktop. Easy cut & paste once I’ve got the command prompt.

I’m confident you will see that prompt notifications are fixed with doze disabled. Am interested to hear if you notice any change in battery consumption good or bad.

Convincing google that they broke code will be a Herculean task. I’m willing to bet it is a fairly small subset of users who notice/care that there is a notification delay. Without a really squeaky wheel from a broad group, I doubt they’d give this any attention.
    10-02-2018 07:23 PM
    Convincing google that they broke code will be a Herculean task. I’m willing to bet it is a fairly small subset of users who notice/care that there is a notification delay. Without a really squeaky wheel from a broad group, I doubt they’d give this any attention.
    May be true, but there are app developers who are complaining, like YouMail, as I found out yesterday. As 3rd party apps that depend on notifications don't work properly, and those apps have customers that are unhappy, maybe Google will take note.

So far still working great! If this is really the fix, then might it be easy for Google to add code for a setting to turn off Doze?
    10-02-2018 07:37 PM
    I did the: adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

Is there another command? I see you said 2 commands.
    10-03-2018 08:26 AM
    I did the: adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

Is there another command? I see you said 2 commands.
    After you entered the command did you get an acknowledgement that the 2 levels of doze were disabled? If so, then you are all set.

The first command I send is: adb devices

It will respond back with the device serial number. That way you know that you are connected to the device and it is taking adb commands
    10-03-2018 01:43 PM
189 12345 ...