I set up a manual proxy in the advanced menu the save it and when i go out from setting and come back Wi-Fi proxy setting is reset to none...this is very annoying. Does anyone have similar issue?
    aschnake likes this.
    02-12-2019 12:13 PM
    The proxy you set in WiFi is for a different kind of proxy than the one you use to stay safe when using public WiFi. For that, you just install the VPN's app and run it when you need the protection, then run WiFi normally. (And leave it set to a normal DHCP setting.)
    02-12-2019 02:12 PM
    Thanks for the Reply Rukbat. I still don't understand why that option is there when it doesn't work... what is it good for? I use proxy to access websites normally not accessible from my location for testing purposes (some test websites are only reachable via proxy) and proxy was quick solution for me. I know I can get the VPN... But it gets me that they have feature that is broken... I would have never updated to Pie if I'd known some features are broken
    02-12-2019 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the Reply Rukbat. I still don't understand why that option is there when it doesn't work... what is it good for?
    SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 proxies.

I use proxy to access websites normally not accessible from my location for testing purposes (some test websites are only reachable via proxy) and proxy was quick solution for me. I know I can get the VPN... But it gets me that they have feature that is broken... I would have never updated to Pie if I'd known some features are broken
    It's not broken. it was fixed. It's a SOCKS proxy that used to allow you to use it for HTTP proxies which it's not supposed to do. SOCKS runs at level 5, and it should be confined to level 5 - allowing it to run on HTTP breaks security. It's like locking the door, then hanging the key on a nail on the outside of the house. The door is still locked, but anyone can still get in.
    02-13-2019 02:30 PM
    Ah ok, I get you. But does that mean they removed the proxy setting like we had on previous versions of Android? Or am I missing something? I can still set proxy server on my older android devices...it's pity I have to use older phone to be able to do this.
    02-13-2019 02:33 PM
    @Martin, I've been having the same problem. I was able to use a proxy just fine before the update, but now I enter the settings for a manual proxy, hit "save", and the proxy settings window closes (as if it were successful) without saving my settings. I'm still able to use a proxy on my Pixel 2, which has also been updated. I usually use my S9 everyday for testing, so it's very frustrating that I can't anymore.

Even if I do manage to get the proxy settings to save and get it working (it happens sometimes!), I then can't turn it off, because switching from "Manual" to "None" also does not save.
    02-20-2019 10:05 AM
    Have you tried:

1. Open your device’s Settings app .
    2. Tap Network & internet Wi-Fi.
    3. Tap a network, then tap Settings .
    4. At the top, tap Edit .
    5. Next to "Advanced options," tap the Down arrow .
    6. Under "Proxy," tap the Down arrow . Pick the configuration type.
    7. If needed, enter the proxy settings.
    8. Tap Save.

I don't know if it will do what you want (if you can get to it), but, as @aschnake said, it works in the Pixel 2. (But ... not all apps will use the proxy - they'll all have to use a VPN, if you have one running.)
    02-20-2019 05:52 PM