Google's awful gestures are ruining Android Q

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm not the best spokesman, as I have NEVER used the slide gesture to open a hamburger menu, I always tap on the hamburger. Given that, I LOVE the gestures in the Q Beta.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I've read some other Android editors critiques of Android gesture system, I think people are being a little bit too critical of Android Q gesture system. I found ways to work around the gestures.

I'm just starting to wonder what exactly do people want and expect from Android, and Google, sometimes.

I read Ron's interview with the Q engineers and they're dealing with some complicated stuff. Android's not an easy boat to turn at all because the have to consider so many partners.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I guess I'm not the best spokesman, as I have NEVER used the slide gesture to open a hamburger menu, I always tap on the hamburger. Given that, I LOVE the gestures in the Q Beta.

That makes two of us. I've always just tapped the hamburger menu. I like the gestures, but be remiss if I didn't say the two button configuration is most comfortable for my usage at this point. BUT I could use the full gestures, as I think we'll have to with Pixel 4, if need be.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm just starting to wonder what exactly do people want and expect from Android, and Google, sometimes.

I read Ron's interview with the Q engineers and they're dealing with some complicated stuff. Android's not an easy boat to turn at all because the have to consider so many partners.
It's not just that though. A lot of editors saying that with the absence of the back button from the gesture system, going back one space is almost impossible and really infuriating. I just said click the top left arrow on every screen And every application it does the same thing.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Swearing I'd never give up the 3 button navigation I finally gave the Gestures a try on the Huawei Mate 10 Pro followed soon after by the Mate 20 Pro and within a day I couldn't go back to 3 buttons. I've had the Pixel 3xl for about a month now with Android Q on it the whole time again using full gestures and the transition from Huawei to Google was seamless as they use identical gestures. I don't get the complaints personally. I can honestly say they've been fluid and intuitive the whole time and I can't imagine using the phone any other way now

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the 3 buttons but surely some day I'll get dragged kicking and screaming into the wonderful world of gestures. I will say I'm very glad I've held onto my pixel2. Long live the 3 buttons !!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I mean as far as people getting used to it, I think that's what it's mostly about. Learning to adapt to Android operating system with gestures. As far as digestion being walking that used to be in beta 4, but not anymore. They're pretty smooth. Yes I understand most people are used to three button navigation system and that'll take Some users a lot more time than others. For me, I'm used to the gestures already. like I said, they're smooth, intuitive, seamless they don't think that want to get used to. I really don't know why so many people are complaining about them. Are they the same as IOS no but you wouldn't want them to be anyways. the whole peek gesture works pretty well And you just got to get used to it. And like I said, I use that top left back out of the back at the most menu systems of applications regardless.

nathan umide

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm so used to the three buttons. All the hype and fears expressed here makes me want to remain on android oreo or pie. Love the 3 buttons too much. I know I will be forced to move to gestures one day in the future but Google should still leave it as an option for those of us that are faint of heart.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm the most I can say is you the gestures a shot. You won't know if you like them until you try them.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I think once you've used an iPhone with the gestures, it's very difficult to accept the gestures in Android P or Q. I far prefer Android, but Apple really got those gestures perfect. Android P was a very poor imitation. The closest I've experienced is how OnePlus does it. But I've still switched back to the regular buttons because the back gesture is not great.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
well I'm from blackberry 10, so gestures is not new to me... it took me a minute to adjust to the OG pixel. even when I would go back to the Z10, I would still be comfortable browsing with it. it was one of my favorite features in BB10.

when the new update came out in Android P. I switched to the gestures the same day and I will never go back to three buttons... I feel I'm once again a bit more productive with it.

strafer69

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the 3 buttons but surely some day I'll get dragged kicking and screaming into the wonderful world of gestures. I will say I'm very glad I've held onto my pixel2. Long live the 3 buttons !!

I tried the gestures. Hate it! If I want an iPhone I would have bought one.

gd761

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Google Should Keep the Auto Hiding Navigation Buttons baked into the OS and Not have to download an App or Launcher just to accomplish that. They could also have Gestures as an Option for the few people who actually like and prefer it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TechBro