Android TV Box factory reset does nothing

NTBeard

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I'm having some problems with my Android TV box. When I try to factory reset the box, it boots with the initial setup screen as you'd expect. However when I restart the box, it returns to its pre-reset state, with all my apps and settings as they were before the reset. I have tried the following:

- Full factory reset
- Installing older firmware, deleting partition cache, then reinstalling the new firmware

Despite all this the box still boots with my previous apps/data/settings.

Any help with this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's hard to troubleshoot these Android TV boxes, since they're often so generic, without any real documentation or support.

Try going to Settings>Backup & reset​, and uncheck Automatic Restore. Then try the factory reset again.

NTBeard

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!

The Auto Restore was actually checked (I feel stupid now...), and that did help a little, but strangely some settings are still there. I'll keep having a play with it. Like you say it's a generic MX2 clone so it's a little difficult. Thanks for your help!

JUS4FUN

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I have m8s that does start at all. Blue light comes on then nothing. I tried to use a toothpick in the av but still nothing . Any other ways?

jeff14510

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
My M8 was working perfectly. Overnight it developed a problem where when I move between apps the picture goes blank for a few seconds. Sometimes, it reboots constantly. I have tried to do a factory reset but pressing the button and then plugging it in does nothing. Any ideas? Thank you.

gingerkidht

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
So I found this forum and need help. When I went to do the kodi update in 2015 my box display on the tTVmessed up. The / key won't help and I only see part of what I watch. When I switched tvs it does the same thing and in the display settings it shows it locked to the other tv and I can't change it at all. Anyhow nothing I have tried works. What should I do....?

AndyH42

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I've had a couple of these boxes ( mx2) and to be honest there crap. They last about 6 months and then give up, get yourself an Amazon fire TV box or Nvidia shield TV box. There a bit more expensive but so much better, especially for kodi.

Posted via the Android Central App

matricomg

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
when reseting a box first hold the reset button down wait 15 sec unplug the device wait 15 sec plug it back in wait 15 sec and release the reset button this will erease everything to factory setings and you will have to start over.;);););););)

Blerim Gega

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
I have notice that if u unplug the network cable , or disconnect from wireless it stays on . So thats what I did , than I tried factory reset and worked

MAN6074

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Ki Plus Android TV box S905

Hi all
I updated firmware of my Ki Plus Android TV box and the box stopped displaying anything after first reboot,
I will be so grateful if someone can help, I tried my level best to find out hard reset button but could not find, please help

clorice123

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
hi there i am having a problem when i reboot my goobang doo .box. the time goes back to jan 1970. and .i factory reset it dose the same if i reboot it.

MrE Benstead

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Download Clocksinc app from playstore, open app, go to settings, Down to Enable and tick box, scroll down to Detect time zone and tick that box, scroll down to Sync on boot and tick that box. Reboot your box, it will show the wrong date and time but correct itself after aprox 30 seconds. Hope it works for you. Has worked on 3 boxes I own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38