Watch for non-techie male?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Looking for recommendations...

I want to buy my husband a moderately priced smart watch that he can use with his Galaxy S7. He is not a techie and won't care about adding a bunch of apps to his watch. I want something w a leather strap, masculine/rugged. The ability to read texts (emails?) and see notifications are musts. After that, basic fitness tracking, maybe the ability to check weather or news would be great, but that's it.

I myself am a techie, but haven't yet dipped my toe into the wearable world and I'm overwhelmed. On top of that, I'm in the middle of battling Samsung /Verizon /Target to get a replacement for my note 7 and am drained from dealing with devices right now, lol! I'm hoping to get some direction here. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Huawei Watch, and love it. It's one of the few Android Wear watches that looks like a traditional steel dress watch, and its proportions are more conventional than some of the other watches out there (that in my opinion look more like hockey pucks on a wristband:p). You can get it with a leather band, but I really like the official steel band.

IMG_20160925_002100.jpg

The cheapest I've seen it (brand new) is about $260, so it might be out of the price range you're looking for.

Smith 001

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
non-techie?If your requirements are all that you posted above,the non-AW may cost you less.:p
You can search on Google to find out which brands you like.Then if you have any questions about it,post them.:)

steezytech

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
wait for the samsung gear s3 if you can. otherwise the gear s2 classic will be great and if hes a non techie the gear s2 os will be much easier to operate than the aw

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
You should take a look at the Vector Luna. There are several case and leather strap options. Battery life is amazing (30+ days). It has apps (activity tracking, weather, music, etc.) and you can receive notifications and texts. Also water resistant. I've seen them on Amazon starting at $180.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Vector Luna (steel case, black leather). I kept going back to the S2 (or would wait for the S3), but I had to remind myself that this isn't for me. I would want every possible bell and whistle, where my husband just wants the bell and will probably need a course on how to ring it, LOL! I think the Luna will be the perfect mix of style and function. What really won me over is the fact that it looks like a regular watch and a really nice one at that. And at $180 on Amazon, if my husband feels after a year that he wants more functionality, the trade up won't sting too terribly. I doubt, however, that he'll ever feel the need for anything beyond the notifications, ESPN and the weather..

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The Luna arrived today and it is beautiful! It has great (but reasonable) heft, the black leather band is thick and high quality and the brushed steel looks great around the black face. A total class A watch. I haven't set it up yet - waiting to access my husband's phone while he isn't aware. I'll definitley update once it's set up and my husband has some time with it. He'll be getting it as a gift in about two weeks, so I'll check back then.