Step Counter Off (Gear Live)

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I am still working my way around my Gear Live. Overall my impressions are favorable. Being able to quickly view notifications is great. One of the reasons I picked it up was also for the fitness piece. I currently use a Fitbit and figured if I am going to wear something it may as well have the added benefit that Android Wear can bring.

That being said with today being my first day using it, I noticed a significant drop in steps compared to the Fitbit. Have people had similar experiences already or with any of the other Gear devices. I am going to try and use both tomorrow and see what the difference is at the end of the day.

If there are any other questions I would be happy to answer, but also look forward to others feedback.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
how do you know it is not the fitbit that is off? i understand the gear devices haven't exactly been known for their step accuracy, but it occurs to me that a fitbit with an accelerometer vs. a gear live with an accelerometer, gyroscope and compass should in theory result in the gear live providing superior accuracy...

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Fair question. I am going to try and wear both tomorrow and see how close they are. I am basing it mainly off a run I did today.

I ran a little over 5 miles and as of a minutes ago my total steps for the day is 8716. That run alone should take me over or close to over 10,000 steps. Plus the additional steps of a regular work day and I really would be closer to 15k. Now the 15 may be high but I also am thinking the 8k is exceptionally low. I will see how it reacts over the next few days.

I can just adjust my step expectations, so consistency will be most important.

Any other people have experience with other trackers and how they compare.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
also, it just occurred to me that maybe it's the built in app that's off? are any other step counting apps even compatible with android wear as of this moment?

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Can you run with just the watch. And then sync to phone when you're done? Would like to be able to do this.

Posted via Android Central App

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you run with just the watch. And then sync to phone when you're done? Would like to be able to do this.

Yes. You can run as a standalone and it will count steps. Just remember there is no GPS, so you are only relying on steps for distance which may not be very accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Can this thread be moved to the Gear Live section? It wasn't there when I started this. Thanks for the help.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
This is from my run today. I took both steps counts right before starting and immediately following.

Gear: Start - 2649; End 5335; Total Steps Counted - 2686
FitBit: Start - 389; End 7060; Total Steps Counted - 6671

There is a 4,000 step difference between the two. For reference, I ran approx. 5.2 miles as measured by my Garmin. I really think something is way off on the Gear.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
With my Galaxy Gear, I just manually counted my steps in my head and compared it to the watch. I did 4 trials. First was 200 steps. The Gear was within 2 steps accuracy. Then I did a 100 step, stopped for a min, then another 100 in the same direction. Was accurate within 3 steps. Then I did a 200 step and then walked back the same route for 200 steps and was still accurate within 2. Last was a dynamic route with stops and turns for 200 steps Accuracy was within 3. IMO, the Galaxy Gear's pedometer is pretty accurate. I can imagine the built in pedometers for the Gear Live and Galaxy Gear are identical.

electricfx

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I found your post searching google for this exact issue. My gear live is signifigantly lower than my fitbit which I've checked for accuracy before. Just got home from work... gear-3363 fitbit-4761

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
With my Galaxy Gear, I just manually counted my steps in my head and compared it to the watch. I did 4 trials. First was 200 steps. The Gear was within 2 steps accuracy. Then I did a 100 step, stopped for a min, then another 100 in the same direction. Was accurate within 3 steps. Then I did a 200 step and then walked back the same route for 200 steps and was still accurate within 2. Last was a dynamic route with stops and turns for 200 steps Accuracy was within 3. IMO, the Galaxy Gear's pedometer is pretty accurate. I can imagine the built in pedometers for the Gear Live and Galaxy Gear are identical.

I don't think the last part is necessarily true from a software or calibration perspective though. I would agree that they probably have identical innards, but something is definitely off with the Gear Live's calibration and/or software. The numbers are too far off. My Fitbit has been consistent with other devices I have used to track. They are never the same but I am 3,902 steps off today as of right now.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I found your post searching google for this exact issue. My gear live is signifigantly lower than my fitbit which I've checked for accuracy before. Just got home from work... gear-3363 fitbit-4761

I kept searching Google as well hoping to see something. I may reach out to Samsung tomorrow if I get time.

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
My fitbit flex is reading 10,822 right now. Gear Live is reading 11,021. Earlier today, the Gear Live was a bit lower. Close enough for my purposes.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if I have a dud. Your numbers are fine. Mine are way off comparatively.

Alycaria

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I was wondering if you were ever able to get your Gear and Fitbit to sync?
My Gear does about double the steps of my Fitbit everyday. I know it is the one that is way off because I count my steps and the Fitbit is much closer to what I walk.
Additionally, it says "Last Sync Dec 31" everyday, with different step counts. I only received my watch last week (in March).
Any ideas?