Patching the holes in Wear. Where Google needs to step up.

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Google is clearly leaving innovation to the developers. I was happy to get the new Wear update on the Moto 360. But...we got a fancy new watch face (which I can't use as I know no one with a wear device) and quicker access to my apps...via an alphabetical list..where is the innovation in that? Think about it, Google are the people that figured out how to search the internet by prioritizing results...and they choose the alphabet to organize my apps list. The ALPHABET - three thousand year old technology.

I've got a few apps I like that patch over the shortcomings in Wear, but what we need is Google stepping up and thinking through some of the tougher aspects of the API. For instance, voice recognition. Try tweeting about 'Android Wear.' Comes out "Android where." :'(

Come on Google, Here are some ideas. Run with 'em. I bet you could patent the contextual dictionary thing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Umm... I think you're overlooking a few features that were added, too. Yes, I do agree that Wear isn't perfect (far from it) and it could use faster development, but you didn't just get a new face. Now you get actionable areas on your watchface (which you didn't get before), and watchface devs can take advantage of that. The wear pairing option would work if everyone had Wear, but we know that's far from reality right now (like you, I'm the only one of my friends who owns one).

Also remember that Google sets the OS and features that can be implemented... it's up to each manufacturer (for better or worse) and to each dev to make use of those in interesting, appealing new ways.

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes I think we'll see some very nice watch faces come out of the actionable areas, that was a good step forward. But as for the manufacturers etc...they can't rewrite wear. The apps list is I am certain core Wear, and Google needs to fix that.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think Wear was originally thought out to be just a companion OS and not a fully-fledged app platform, even though the potential was clearly there. Remember the first Wear apps? Install something on your phone, let it summon whatever bits were installed on your watch to do their thing. Now more and more apps run semi-separately from the phone, and they have to catch up to that.

Launchers, however, in pure Android have always been simplistic. You want more stuff? 3rd party launchers. Same thing applies to your watch. You get a basic launcher with the stock one, but if you want a better, more customizable one, the ability to do so is there...but you need a dev to do it and come up with a 3rd party solution.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My most recently used apps jump to the top of the list for easy access, just like I'd expect.
I was going to mention this as well. Yea, sorting your apps list alphabetically isn't anything revolutionary, but they did think to put the most recently / often used apps at the top of the list for you.

I am a bit of a smartwatch fanatic and, I must admit, I have waaaay too many of them. However, playing with many different smartwatches (not just Android Wear ones) has shown me differences between the different brands and types out there. In my experience, they ALL have their own little issues... None of them are perfect! What I can say tho is with many, many watch options to choose from, I still reach for an Android Wear watch every morning. For me (as i am using an Android phone), it is currently my favorite out of the smartwatch OS's available today.

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My most recently used apps jump to the top of the list for easy access, just like I'd expect.

That is what I expected; I saw my most recently used app at the top but my most used (steps)was buried. I'm wondering if this ordering survives a reboot? My guess is no...I'd received a replacement watch for the one which cracked and it had more trouble with connectivity so more reboots. Else, the steps app should have been at the top.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
That is what I expected; I saw my most recently used app at the top but my most used (steps)was buried. I'm wondering if this ordering survives a reboot? My guess is no...I'd received a replacement watch for the one which cracked and it had more trouble with connectivity so more reboots. Else, the steps app should have been at the top.

I just did a restart and my most-recent app list survived. Since I'd guess that info is stored on the watch itself and not the linked phone, I wouldn't expect it to survive a factory reset and certainly not a replacement.

alienlandingpad

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for checking Scott. This was weeks after replacement, and when I got around to using the apps list, I started apps multiple times in a vain attempt to goose the list. Either something was wacky on that particular '360 or it did not track app starts using my previous method to launch (Bubble Cloud Launcher). At any rate, it went back for other problems, I'll try anew when I receive the replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NK01UK