Cannot change ringtone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

In Settings/Sound I can choose ringtones and also hear them. Regardless which one I choose, when I call my phone it plays always the same ringtone (Silvery), also in Safe Mode or after a restart. Even after uninstalling recent apps.
My phone is a Alcatel A574BL (Android 7.1.1).
I appreciate your comments.
Stay safe
Henning

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are these all preinstalled ringtones (that came with the phone), or are they custom ringtones you got from an app like Zedge?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Have you been stuck on the same ring from other callers too and not just you? There is a way just you can have your own ring, which isn't changing from the setting screen you're using.

hwriedt

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for your infos.
All ringtones are preinstalled except one (mp3), which I imported through Bluetooth from my computer.
I didn't use Zedge. I didn't try factory reset.
Today I found out, that a strange caller triggered the ringtone, which I imported and marked.
But whenever I check my phone with a call from my landline or from my wife's phone, my
phone picks "Silvery", regardless of my different test choices.
The landline number and my wife's number are listed on the front screen.
Does that help?
Best wishes
Henning

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
"Today I found out, that a strange caller triggered the ringtone, which I imported and marked." Can you post a screenshot of whatever this is? What happens if you try to delete Silvery?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you've really been after this. You've done a lot of the right things if this were a bug or some other type of fault. I'm not convenced that it is.

My first two questions are;
If you change the ringtone is it only when you call yourself that you get the wrong ringtone or does anyone who calls get the wrong one?

Have you looked at the individual ringtone for your contact?

It sounds like you are changing the ringtone then calling yourself to see if it worked. You don't mention what happens if other people call you. Has anyone called you since you've tried to changing your ringtone?

So you can set a default ringtone that covers everyone that calls, but you can also set a ringtone for each individual contact that will override this default ringtone. Just as an example; you can set Blue Moon as your default ringtone. Unknown callers, friends, family and whomever calls you, your phone will ring with Blue Moon. Open your contacts and select Betty's contact. There you can change Betty's ringtone to Kokomo, just for her. Everyone else who calls the phone rings Blue Moon but Betty's calls ring Kokomo.

hwriedt

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice.

VidJunky: The last paragraph of your comment did it. I didn't know,
that you can dedicate a certain ringtone to a specific caller, because
I never read the whole settings page for each caller. So somehow "Silvery"
got listed for those two phone numbers (home and my wife).
Problem solved.
Thank you so much - I feel better (regarding the phone - it is raining outside).
Wish you all well and stay safe.
Henning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty