Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F
    Android versio 5.0.1
    Kernel version: queen@scmbuild #2
    Build number: A10-70F_S000123_160921_ROW
    Software version: A10-70F_20160921

Just bought this second-hand tablet as a first foray into mobile computing. I am well familiar with computers and a regular Linux user however this tablet has me stumped.

I had seen the tablet working before purchase and was satisfied that it would do everything I wanted, including Facebook Messenger. It was returned to factory defaults before handing over to me.

I added a network connection then my Google account and set the correct time zone. I then installed the Facebook App from the Play store which worked fine. Next I tried to install Facebook Messenger. It downloaded quickly but would not install. The error message unhelpfully said “Something gone wrong”.

I deleted the cache from Facebook and tried again but got the same message. As there was nothing else installed I reverted to factory settings again and went through the same process but without installing Facebook first. Still FB messenger will not install.

Do not know what to do next. Any suggestions please? The tablet is of no use to me without Messenger.
    06-24-2020 10:43 AM
    The software on the tablet is outdated, Facebook messenger doesn't work on Android 5 Lollipop anymore and hasn't for probably over a year now, that's your problem.

I don't know the exact reason but I suspect it's related to the story and camera features now included in the app, messenger lite still works on Android 5 and doesn't have those features.

If you're new to Android or not aware of software versions Android 5 lollipop was released in 2014 and is no longer supported by Google. While the majority of apps still work on it there is a growing list of apps that don't because they utilize features that are incompatible with older versions of Android.
    B. Diddy and hallux like this.
    06-24-2020 11:21 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    06-24-2020 11:28 AM
    If you're new to Android or not aware of software versions Android 5 lollipop was released in 2014 and is no longer supported by Google
    And this is a very unfortunate aspect of someone looking for a device based purely on cost. Often they do find these older devices at really good prices, but are simply unaware that the OS on them isn't supported and then get a bad vibe about the experience on the platform because things don't work right. What's more - there are devices running newer versions of Android that can be bought new and relatively inexpensively (Samsung Tab E line comes to mind).
    06-24-2020 11:41 AM
    Hi L0n3N1nja. Many thanks for the quick reply. I am new to all of this - Linux is my home. What is Lollipop please. It is not mentioned anywhere in the tablet 'About page' - at least not that I have found.

So you are suggesting that I should install Messenger Lite? Isn't that a 'paid for' service?

I still do not understand why, when I saw the tablet working last week Messenger was working okay. It all seems strange to me. Please excuse my ignorance.
    06-24-2020 11:43 AM
    What is Lollipop please
    That's the name given to Android 5.

I still do not understand why, when I saw the tablet working last week Messenger was working okay.
    Apps that were installed may have continued to work, but new installs are not allowed.
    06-24-2020 11:51 AM
    Aah! Now I understand. Many thanks. I have just added Messenger Lite and that is working fine.
    Thank you for your help.
    06-24-2020 11:59 AM
    Hi L0n3N1nja. Many thanks for the quick reply. I am new to all of this - Linux is my home. What is Lollipop please. It is not mentioned anywhere in the tablet 'About page' - at least not that I have found.

So you are suggesting that I should install Messenger Lite? Isn't that a 'paid for' service?

I still do not understand why, when I saw the tablet working last week Messenger was working okay. It all seems strange to me. Please excuse my ignorance.
    Every software version of Android gets a nick name based on a snack/dessert, Android 5 was known as Lollipop. The specs you provided mention it's on Android 5, we have a tendency to refer to it as Lollipop on these forums.

My best guess is it was running an out dated version of the Facebook Messenger app installed when it was still compatible with that tablets Android version. It would of kept working and been unable to update to the newest version available from Facebook in the Google Play Store. Since you factory reset the tablet you lost the version of the app that still worked and now when you try to install it you cannot because only the newest version is available for download from Google's Play Store.

Messenger lite is free, Facebook released a lite version of their messenger app and facebook app several years ago that have fewer features, require less data, and perform better on low end hardware. It also happens to install and run on devices that no longer support the regular version of Facebook Messenger.

Messenger lite still gives you full access to message and call others, only feature I'm aware of that's missing is the stories. You can't view others stories or add photos to yours on it.
    06-24-2020 12:07 PM
    My guide is a bit out of date because I stopped updating it after Android 7 (Nougat), but the basics are still valid: [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (UPDATED 2016 for Nougat) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    06-24-2020 12:21 PM
    Thanks for the guide. B.Diddy.

I'm off to read through it now.

Cheers
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-25-2020 05:34 AM