Why is Photo Editor & Processing (Gallery icon) in notification bar not going away?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Galaxy S10

Recently, after a screen shot I saw "do you want to try the something editor" and I said yes, assuming it was my Galaxy Gallery.

Now, any time I screen shot or take a photo, in the notification bar "Photo Editor Processing....." stay forever. It has a gear icon, which you cannot use.

The only way to stop this is to use Package Disabler Pro and disable Gallery app (red flower) but then you cannot edit pictures or crop direct on a screen shot to share.

Please help. I have tried clearing the cache, the data, rebooting the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
re: Why is Photo Editor & Processing (Gallery icon) in notification bar not going away?

I want to say that I was asked the same question shortly after an update awhile back and declined it. I'm still able to edit and don't seem to have any issues but then again I decline most things.

In your case however it sounds like you allowed an app to take some kind of default action after pictures are taken. To clear this default you will need to navigate to the app page for that app.

Settings>Apps>the app in question>Set as default>remove all apps from the list.

I looked on my S10 and there is an app called Photo Editor, to get it to appear in the list you have to select Show System Apps in the dropdown menu (3 dots upper right) of the app list. Given the buggy nature of your issue I would suggest that you find any and all apps that include the word "editor" related to photos and check them for default settings and remove those as well, just in case it isn't the stock app.

Then use mustang7757's link to let us know what you found.

BlessedMom1305

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
re: Why is Photo Editor & Processing (Gallery icon) in notification bar not going away?

That was my posted question above.

I was able to use Package Disabler to disable the Photo Editor and that seemed to stop the "Photo Processing" message that doesnt leave the notification var - however, now I cannot edit a photo or screenshot.

I have no idea what app has control of my phone now to cause this issue.

I truly assumed it was the stock app bc it was upon screenshot that it came up.

Should I factrory reset? And download all my apps again? Ugh what an undertaking.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Should I factrory reset? And download all my apps again? Ugh what an undertaking.

I've never used a Package Disabler although I've seen them recommended several times around on the forum. Having said that I can't say what they do, how they do it or how to undo what they've done. Did you at all look at simply not allowing the app to be the default to any other app? This is the only way that I know of for an app to take actions with another app that aren't initiated by the user.

I would first try to restore the editing app to a working state, then ensure that the app is not set as a default for any other apps and see how things work then. I believe that when you agreed you were agreeing to it being the default and thus allowing it to take whatever the action was.

If you checked previously and just didn't mention it or you restore the app and it begins doing it again, check and find that it isn't set as a default, one alternative may be to factory reset your device. I would rather see if the factory app can be restored and its action corrected before going through the hassle of factory resetting the device. However if that is the route you decided to go I would turn off "automatically restore apps" as an option. This way you can pick and choose which apps to install. I would do this for two reasons; first it allows you see and decide if the app is something you really want. Remember that one game that looked fun and you downloaded it but never played? Yeah no one does so why install that again? The second reason is automatically restoring apps can often bring problem apps back with the same problems as before.

Just something to think about.

Mariz Egera Orosa

Aug 11, 2022
Visit site
I've never used a Package Disabler although I've seen them recommended several times around on the forum. Having said that I can't say what they do, how they do it or how to undo what they've done. Did you at all look at simply not allowing the app to be the default to any other app? This is the only way that I know of for an app to take actions with another app that aren't initiated by the user.

I would first try to restore the editing app to a working state, then ensure that the app is not set as a default for any other apps and see how things work then. I believe that when you agreed you were agreeing to it being the default and thus allowing it to take whatever the action was.

If you checked previously and just didn't mention it or you restore the app and it begins doing it again, check and find that it isn't set as a default, one alternative may be to factory reset your device. I would rather see if the factory app can be restored and its action corrected before going through the hassle of factory resetting the device. However if that is the route you decided to go I would turn off "automatically restore apps" as an option. This way you can pick and choose which apps to install. I would do this for two reasons; first it allows you see and decide if the app is something you really want. Remember that one game that looked fun and you downloaded it but never played? Yeah no one does so why install that again? The second reason is automatically restoring apps can often bring problem apps back with the same problems as before.

Just something to think about.

Happened also to me 4days ago.. upon analyzing and reviewing, you have to go to one of your pictures on your gallery app > select edit photos > look for the small 3 dots icon at the lower right corner of the phone> then click the "about photo editor" > you will be directed to the screen which says PHOTO EDITOR version blah.. blah.. > go to the upper right corner of the screen,> click the circle icon "i" then clicked the forces stop button at the lower part of the screen. Also, try to uncheck or unselect those other apps in the permission button so that this photo editor will not access other photos, media apps. Hope it helps. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Happened also to me 4days ago.. upon analyzing and reviewing, you have to go to one of your pictures on your gallery app > select edit photos > look for the small 3 dots icon at the lower right corner of the phone> then click the "about photo editor" > you will be directed to the screen which says PHOTO EDITOR version blah.. blah.. > go to the upper right corner of the screen,> click the circle icon "i" then clicked the forces stop button at the lower part of the screen. Also, try to uncheck or unselect those other apps in the permission button so that this photo editor will not access other photos, media apps. Hope it helps. :)
Welcome to AC!
Thanks for your tip!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer