Same phone number but switched phones from old Phone A to new Phone B Took the backup from old Phone A, and I can see it on my google drive. The old one Phone A was reset to factory settings. Installed WhatsApp in new Phone B, but when I try restore from google drive, it got stuck at 24% or sometimes 40% while 'Restoring messages'. Can't restore. I also tried to restore on old Phone A, but same problem. Please help what are my options to restore my ONLY backup that is available on Google drive into the new Phone.
    09-26-2020 02:47 PM
    Which phone ?
    You using same phone number ?

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here as a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    09-26-2020 02:58 PM
    Is there enough free internal storage space?

(Another possibility is that when you did the factory reset, you corrupted the backup.)
    09-26-2020 03:30 PM
    The new phone is LG Velvet, Android 10, using the same phone number, same email account. Yes, it has enough space. The backup size on my google drive is 9.8 GB
    09-26-2020 03:57 PM
    The new phone is LG Velvet, Android 10, using the same phone number, same email account. Yes, it has enough space. The backup size on my google drive is 9.8 GB
    Hi, welcome to AC!
    Try resetting the Google Drive app by long pressing it then tap info , go to storage and clear data/cache and force stop it and see if it will work again, also make sure your wifi is good
    09-26-2020 04:37 PM
    Thank you. I have 2 backups in my goggle drive - phone and whatsapp. No issues with Phone backup. Everything related to Phone backup got transferred to the new phone. Since now I tried many times registering the phone# on whatsapp, I have to wait 24 hours to get verification code from wahtsapp to if I need to re-register the phone#. I left it 'Restoring messages' mode for the past 4 hours for now but nothing is moving.I also did factory reset couple of times yesterday. No issues with wifi though.
    09-26-2020 05:08 PM
    Thank you. I have 2 backups in my goggle drive - phone and whatsapp. No issues with Phone backup. Everything related to Phone backup got transferred to the new phone. Since now I tried many times registering the phone# on whatsapp, I have to wait 24 hours to get verification code from wahtsapp to if I need to re-register the phone#. I left it 'Restoring messages' mode for the past 4 hours for now but nothing is moving.I also did factory reset couple of times yesterday. No issues with wifi though.
    Ok let's wait until the 24 time limit and go from there.
    09-26-2020 05:11 PM
    Cleared the data and storage cache and force stopped the google drive app. No luck, getting stuck at exactly 24% of transferring messages.
    09-27-2020 12:03 PM
    Cleared the data and storage cache and force stopped the google drive app. No luck, getting stuck at exactly 24% of transferring messages.
    Hi, thanks for updating, maybe try another wifi connection just to rule it out.
    09-27-2020 12:14 PM
    Yes, I did try different wifi and also purely on 5G.
    09-27-2020 12:18 PM
    Yes, I did try different wifi and also purely on 5G.
    Might want contact them through the app .
    09-27-2020 12:21 PM
    Thank you. I contacted them earlier, but got a generic response (like links to how to backup/restore). Now I sent the log, waiting for reply.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-27-2020 12:33 PM
    Thank you. I contacted them earlier, but got a generic response (like links to how to backup/restore). Now I sent the log, waiting for reply.
    Ok , let's wait and see what they respond !
    09-27-2020 12:35 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Getting stuck at 24% usually means that the backup file is corrupted and the best solution is making another backup in the original phone (which is not possible in your case).

Were you using the official WhatsApp app in your old phone or a third party one?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-27-2020 12:41 PM
    It's official app only. Is it possible that a backup file can be corrupted? It's the WhatsApp app that created a backup on google drive. And there is no way for me to open/touch/alter that backup file on google drive other than Preview/Delete it.
    09-27-2020 12:48 PM
    It's official app only. Is it possible that a backup file can be corrupted? It's the WhatsApp app that created a backup on google drive. And there is no way for me to open/touch/alter that backup file on google drive other than Preview/Delete it.
    Take a look at this older thread see if something helps .

https://forums.androidcentral.com/an...24-urgent.html
    09-27-2020 12:53 PM
    In a few cases the chats where restored even after being stuck at 24%. Try this, start the backup, leave it for 15-20 minutes after stopping at 24%, force close the app (from settings or Recent apps), reboot the phone and open WhatsApp again. Worth a try.
    09-27-2020 12:53 PM
    Thank you for the link. I have gone through that link earlier. They were fortunate to have the local backup and restore it from there. I tried your suggestion of force stopping several times yesterday. Did not help..
    09-27-2020 01:17 PM
    Thank you for the link. I have gone through that link earlier. They were fortunate to have the local backup and restore it from there. I tried your suggestion of force stopping several times yesterday. Did not help..
    Ok let's see what whatsapp customer service says .
    09-27-2020 09:11 PM
    Below is the response from Whatsapp team:

"It appears that your backup is corrupted.
    You must have the same phone number as when you backed up your chats in order to restore them.
    Unfortunately, we can't help you restore corrupted backup files."

I did not really understand how this app created a corrupted backup and put it on google drive?
    09-28-2020 08:37 AM

You must have the same phone number as when you backed up your chats in order to restore them.

I did not really understand how this app created a corrupted backup and put it on google drive?
    It's possible it did get corrupt, not sure how but can happen.
    09-28-2020 09:59 AM

Ugh, usually that's the problem. Before giving up you could try to restore that backup file in the old phone and see if it can read it. It's a long shot but there's not much else I can think of.

Another thing to try is uninstall WhatsApp from your new phone (force stop and clear data/storage first), use a file explorer to delete any file or folder left behind and install again.
    09-28-2020 12:30 PM