Is the user name on my Google contact list attached to it or is it device specific?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I am finally moving from my Core Prime to an A01 and of course I want my contact list from the old phone to be usable with the new one.

As it stands right now if I look at my contact list on the Core Prime it has my name as the first one on the top of the list.

My question is, is that name attached to the contacts or will the list show the new name I want to use on the A01?

Example: right now the contact list shows Sammy6 as the user name, all other names are under it in alphabetical order. When I export the list to my new A01 will the list still show Sammy6 at the top? Or will it show the name I will be using on the new device?

If I can't get it to show the new name the A01 is registered to, then I'll have to make an entirely new contact list or will I?

Clear as mud right?

Thanks to all,

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
How are you backing up your contacts? Are they just on your SIM card, attached to your Google account, attached to your Samsung account?

Your contacts should follow you if;

If saved on your SIM and you transfer the same SIM to your new phone your contacts will go with you. I would encourage you to find a better way to backup your contacts should anything happen that would cause you to loose or change SIM cards.

If you are using a cloud service like Google or Samsung to backup your contacts, your contacts will follow you when you log into those accounts.

Do you think you have to come up with a new user name or is this something you just want to do? I guess it depends on how you backup your contacts and how you created the user name. Very rarely are you locked into a user name so I would imagine that you will be able to change your user name to anything you want and still have it attached to your contacts/account.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I used a nickname / pseudonym on all my Google Accounts and I am sick of using it. That's why I am afraid to activate the new phone because it will capture the nickname and I will be no better off than I am now. I know it will pull the contact list with no trouble but I don't want it to use the nickname, I want it to use the name on my new phone.

I have created a new Google account with the name I want to use and intend to point the new phone there and not my existing contact list to prevent it grabbing the nickname too,

Suppose I was using your phone and logged into my account, would your phone capture all my contacts and add them to your existing list?

In a worst case I guess I could import the list from Google and try it, if it botches it up I could hard reset the phone and start over.

All my contacts are on Google.

I suppose in lieu of just logging in to my Google Account and crossing all my parts, I should prepare myself to rebuild a new contact list.

Thanks to both of you,

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Vidjunky,

Thanks I will probe around in there and see what I come up with. I have yet to get the new device it's somewhere in Fla on it's way here <sigh> can't be soon enough for me, the rooted Core Prime has served me well for the past3+ years. It was a nice little phone but too slow now.

Regards,

Last edited: