No mobile data on note 8

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was gifted a note 8 that was on t-mobile network. It is unlocked. I registered it on metropcs. I can make calls, send and receive text but the mobile data does not work. Since the phone was still under warranty with t-mobile (insurance replacement) and metropcs was unable to determine the issue. Even going thru the "engineers" didn't help. They said it was a defective phone. So we replaced it with another note 8 from t-mobile. Had the replacement phone unlocked only to have it do the same thing. It works just fine on the t-mobile network using a t-mobile sim but when a sim from metro is inserted we have the same problem of no mobile data. We have spent hours on the phone with tech support and changed sim cards, several factory resets. Changing APN settings etc. Putting in and out of airplane mode at one point we had it working for a few hours because we realized the factory resets were causing it to be locked again. So after we realized that, it started working, but like I said for only a couple of hours. It's hard to believe tech support didn't have us check that, we figured that out on our own. Now We noticed it stopped working again once it was disconnected from our home wifi. Since then we cannot get it to stay connected. We replaced the sim and it worked for about 30 seconds then stopped again. Anyone have a solution to this issue?

Al Red Hornbeam

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
When it did the software update it said tmobile software update . I can't be sure but it seems to me that t mobile has something in there to keep people loyal judging from their assertation that I should give tmobile all my data even though I didn't have a t mobile sim. Dosent seem right selling people phones that they can unlock when they really cant

Al Red Hornbeam

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
It's unreal my mom and sister both have Samsung's and my gf two of which were unlocked phones . Mine is the only one that ever said t mobile . I've heard that before in passing that tmobile and straight talk were a no go together . I figured because the person I bought it from had it on Verizon it would be fine an old wives tail

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's unreal my mom and sister both have Samsung's and my gf two of which were unlocked phones . Mine is the only one that ever said t mobile . I've heard that before in passing that tmobile and straight talk were a no go together . I figured because the person I bought it from had it on Verizon it would be fine an old wives tail
Try flashing the unlock firmware if it works out better.

Al Red Hornbeam

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I don't know which firmware to get I registered on Sam mobile today but for this device there is a whole list to choose from. I don't want to mess thing up and be unable to sell it and get a phone that works

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't know which firmware to get I registered on Sam mobile today but for this device there is a whole list to choose from. I don't want to mess thing up and be unable to sell it and get a phone that works
It's not rooting , these are stock Samsung firmwares, but only other way is getting a Verizon sim straight from Verizon , skip strait talk

Al Red Hornbeam

Jan 5, 2021
Visit site
I went too a verizon store and bought a verizon sim . That's how I got the splash to change . I cant afford a verizon plan and unfortunately Verizon is the only towers close enough to me . Should I get the first in the firmware list on Sam mobile or the most recent ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I went too a verizon store and bought a verizon sim . That's how I got the splash to change . I cant afford a verizon plan and unfortunately Verizon is the only towers close enough to me . Should I get the first in the firmware list on Sam mobile or the most recent ?
Understand, sammobile takes too long to download, get Frija tool from XDA forums and extract it then open and put the model number for device which will be unlocked not yours currently and use csc next to it VZW

Next get from XDA forums the latest Prince Comsey Odin and download and extract .

Let me know once you get that far