I sent a picture to my husband's LG X phone and when he tapped it to enlarge it a totally different picture came up and there is no trash can to delete it. I have emptied the cache, ran a virus scan and can't find the picture anywhere on his phone. The picture wasn't downloaded to his phone. He deleted the text with the picture. I also updated the phone. It happens with every new picture he receives. When I hit "download" it will actually download the new picture, but it takes time for it to appear in the Gallery. Any idea what is going on? I really don't want to do a factory reset.
    12-16-2020 11:52 AM
    OK you said two different things and I'm not 100% on which you mean. Initially you said that, when trying to view a new photo you are presented with an old photo. Later you go on to say that the New Photo can be saved and viewed in the gallery.

So is the issue only that when attempting to "view" and not save the image, the image displayed is an old image but if saved it is saved as the new image?
    Or is the issue both, when attempting to view the new image an old image is displayed and when attempting to save the image, the image saved is the old one as well?

Are you both using the same messaging app? Which app is being used to send the image? Which app is being used to receive the image?

Before attempting to enlarge the image, is the thumbnail visible in the conversation the new or old image?

What happens if he sends you an image?

Have you cleared the cache on your device as well as on his?

Have either of you attempted to use a different app?

If the app is not a native app, the app could be uninstalled and installed again. If the messages are SMS no data should be lost and the messages should repopulate when the new app is installed. If it is a different type of messaging this may not be true.
    12-16-2020 10:59 PM
    Thanks for responding.
    The new picture can be seen as long as you don't tap the picture. As soon as you tap the picture it turns into an old picture that was never downloaded to his phone. You can download the new picture to the gallery by tapping the old picture. The old picture can't be found on either phones to be removed.

We both use Google text-to-speech to send and receive. Is this app a native app? The messages are converted to MMS. We have not attempted to use a different app for texting.

He can send me a picture and it goes through as it should. Can be viewed and downloaded without issues.

I have cleared the cache on both phones.

I am at a loss as to what is going on. Thanks for anymore advice in advance!!
    12-17-2020 10:24 AM
    Well Google TTS is a method not an app, per se. It is an app as is everything on the device but many messaging apps accept commands from TTS (text to speech). TTS also falls under Google Assistant as GA is what actually acts on the commands. We don't need to over complicate things.

I'm looking for the name of the app that sends the message. Find your messaging app and tell me what the name under it says. I mean you could be using Google Messages, which would probably not be a native app, these are known as 3rd party apps. It would be something you downloaded from the Play Store. You could also think of native apps as default apps. You opened the box and started using the phone just the way it came. They are sometimes referred to as pre-installed apps. They often have names like Messages, SMS or Text.

The big reason I'm asking this is because I've seen cases in the past where uninstalling the downloaded app and reinstalling it has cured issues like this. Something just gets stuck and clearing caches and data just isn't enough. The problem with that solution is native/pre-installed apps cannot be uninstalled so that would leave that option out. You might be able to accomplish something similar by installing another app, transferring everything to it, making it your default then trying to switch back to old app if you really liked it that much. A lot of times people switch because other apps have better features or better looks, they might be easier to use. It's all personal taste though.

So if you can uninstall the app. The best way to do this would be to figure out the name of the app, then search for it on the Play Store. When the page comes up it will say Installed, and there either will or won't be an uninstall option. If there is, just uninstall it and without leaving the page install it again. Set it as your default and try it out. If it cannot be uninstalled find an app with a good rating, 3.7 or higher, closer to 5 the better, install it. Make it your default move everything to it, test it, then move back if that's what you want to do. Some pretty good SMS apps, Next SMS, Messages+ (by Verizon), Google Messages, Go SMS to name a few.

Post back what you find and how it went.
    12-17-2020 11:54 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! If you've only cleared the app cache for the messaging app, you may also want to clear the app data as well. This shouldn't clear out any saved messages, because that's saved in the Phone and Messaging Storage system app -- but if you have important messages you need to keep, it's always worth backing up your messages first.
    12-19-2020 02:52 PM