hi, i have problems setting up Mac address filtering for my mobile hotspot on my new samsung device with android 11.

am i missing something or was that feature removed with one of the latest updates?

thanks
    06-20-2021 06:43 AM
    To be honest - I didn't think that was even a capability before! I haven't ever had a Samsung phone, maybe it was something Samsung added, but it certainly hasn't been an option in the core OS on Pixels...
    06-20-2021 08:25 AM
    You could set it up in the form off an black or whitelist for devices your hotspot recognizes. Not as detailed we would find with real network routers. You could not black or whitelist mac addresses just by entering the mac address, as said the device had to be connected to your hotspot.
    06-20-2021 09:40 AM
    Guess I haven't used mobile hot spot enough, because on Android10 I have never run across the feature/setting to block by mac address.
    06-20-2021 09:10 PM
    Smartphone hotspots are a convenience measure, for situations when better, more conventional WiFi isn't available. Most phone hotspot options will be very limited at best, while also being restricted by the physical limitations that are inherent to any smartphone (i.e. enabling a hotspot is a significant battery draw; the antenna in any phone is relatively small so its range and capacity is reduced by a large margin; a router is commonly set in place and always 'working' while a smartphone may or may not be available at all times so for those relying upon a WiFi connectivity with the former its a constant but with the latter only conditional.
    Anyway, if you need more advanced features like MAC address filtering, port forwarding, multiple DNS services, etc. a phone hotspot won't be of much use to you. Get a good router instead.
    06-20-2021 11:05 PM
    hiding the network name also works towards my concerns but only in addition with a strong password. dunno i liked that i was able to writelist devices that should be able to connect to my mobile hotspot and nothing else.

i think it's not as easy to hack the mac address filter as it is to dunno hack ssid and password
    06-21-2021 11:01 AM