Is there a way to disable the 5 GHz Wi-Fi of Android 9?

holocoollearner

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
I have a wireless IoT device that automatically connects via Wi-Fi direct to the 5 GHz of my android tablet. The wireless device can connect to my windows laptop using either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. For my android it is automatically using the 5 GHz. No way to access the setting of this IoT device. If 5 GHz can be disabled on my android, it will connect to the 2.4 GHz. I need this connection because the environment have 5 GHz interference.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which tablet? Do you have to turn on the wi-fi hotspot on the tablet in order for the IoT device to connect? If so, go to the Settings>Networks>Hotspot & Tethering menu, select the wi-fi hotspot option, then look for an option to change the AP Band.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I would just do what B. Diddy suggested, go into your tablet's Settings menu and change the option to use 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz.
But it would seem much more appropriate to connect your IoT device(s) to a router's WiFI network instead, rather than the weaker one provided by a tablet hotspot. It's risky enough using apps on your tablet to interact with IoT devices, using your tablet's WiFi connectivity increases the odds of being compromised quite significantly more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781