can not install system/security update on android 10

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,
for a few years now i own a Mi A2 Lite Android 10 phone.
about a year ago i changed my sim card to a new number, ever since then i could not install the system update, but could live with that.

Recently there is a security update, which i can not install as well, and i feel like this is the time to solve this problem.

I no longer have the old sim card or the old number, just the new one.
Please advise on what can i do to have updates again system and security.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're unable to do it on wi-fi either?

Did you get this phone directly from a carrier, or did you buy it unlocked and bring it to your carrier? Carrier-branded phones often require the phone to be on that carrier's network in order to get the official update.

Tak121212

Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
i got the phone from online store, and then put the sim card from my first carrier in it, it all worked fine, i got all the updates.
Then i change carrier and change sim card and it stopped updating, telling me to switch back to my first sim, which was already done for by the time i got the error message trying to update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Who was the first carrier? Some carriers can actually carrier lock an unlocked phone simply by inserting their SIM card. Contact the first carrier and ask if there is some way to release that lock.

You might also try the Reset Network Settings option in the system settings.

Otherwise, you might have to do a factory reset.

Tak121212

Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
B. Diddy: i have called the first carrier, they said they are not capable of locking the phone, and told me to call my current carrier.
my current carrier said sim problems are not their problem and told me to call the manufacture, it is a Xiaomi phone and i hold little hope for Xiaomi being helpful at all.

In the reset system options menu i have a "reset Wi-Fi, mobile & bluetooth" option, do i need to prepare some thing to run after the reset ? what do i do after i do a reset ?

mustang7757: in "system" menu there is a "system update" option, when i press it the screen says "Security update available" and "couldn't download" and nothing more.
I do not have Wi-Fi, just the mobile plan which is 4G.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After you reset network settings, the mobile network should try to reconnect. You could always remove the SIM card and reinsert it to see if that gets it to connect. You'd have to reconnect to your wi-fi and Bluetooth devices yourself.

Tak121212

Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
I tried using Wi-Fi to update the phone and it was able to download the security update, and now says it is fully updated.

Thank you for the help mustang7757 and B. Diddy, with out it i would be lost.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12