Why do Android Phones not react to changes in metadata for music?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am trying to add my music library to my phone. Certain albums I noticed were showing up as "Unknown Artist". I deleted the files from the phone, edited the metadata on my computer, then transferred the files over again. Regardless of what music player I download and use (Muzio, Rocket Player, etc.) the tracks still show up as "Unknown Artist".

You can find many other posts about this problem around the internet and even ON THIS FORUM with NO solution. This is insane. This is a basic functionality that should not only be easy to fix, but should not have been a problem to begin with.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like this isn't so much an Android problem, but an application problem. The app developers would be the ones that need to develop their programs to read the metadata correctly. I would try reaching out to them.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Be sure your changing the data on the correct page of the Metadata. I had similar issues forever ago where I tried to go in an correct information and add missing information and found that although things like title, album and artist show up on the first tab I didn't get results unless I changed it on one of the other tabs. Seems counter intuitive but be sure to look at all of the tabs.

To reply to this thread and receive notifications when others leave comments, please create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Another thing to try would be to clear the app cache/data for the music apps before you copy those edited music files over again.

Another possibility would be to clear the app cache/data for the Media Storage system app (go to Settings>Apps​, then tap Menu>Show System to look for it).