Is there an app to disable certain pixels on the display?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi all,

I've got a pixel 5, and it has 3 vertical lines through the screen. I tried to post a pic but it blocked the link. I'll try in the comment below or something.
It doesn't bother me that much, but it is at max brightness which is a bit annoying at night. Does anybody know of an app that can just turn brightness to 0 for a certain line of pixels? Just turn them off completely?

Thanks guys.

Trousers2

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
Hey, thanks for that, all done.

Long story short I got the phone reaaaaaal cheap from a local classified because of those lines. Tried taking it to where he bought it from as he gave me the receipt and they took one look and said 'it's been dropped'. Which may be true, the guy told me it just happened randomly but I don't believe him and I don't think anybody else will either. So yeah warranty I don't think is gonna happen. Might try to take it to a different store but not expecing a different outcome.

EDIT: I'll see if that link will work now. Again, not my phone, just similar issue:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c141ac390b4d887e1a785b12bbb2b113.webp

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The simple answer to your question is no. There are hundreds of lines of pixels in the X and Y axis trying to pick a line or a handful of pixels from all of those would be difficult to say the least. Getting it repaired is your best option.

Trousers2

Aug 3, 2021
Visit site
Yeah all good. Just thought I'd give the software option a go. Honestly I'm happy to live with it, it only really bothers me at night because it's like those pixels in those lines are stuck on max brightness.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey, thanks for that, all done.

Long story short I got the phone reaaaaaal cheap from a local classified because of those lines. Tried taking it to where he bought it from as he gave me the receipt and they took one look and said 'it's been dropped'. Which may be true, the guy told me it just happened randomly but I don't believe him and I don't think anybody else will either. So yeah warranty I don't think is gonna happen. Might try to take it to a different store but not expecing a different outcome.

EDIT: I'll see if that link will work now. Again, not my phone, just similar issue:
https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c141ac390b4d887e1a785b12bbb2b113.webp
Hi welcome to AC!
If that line is there like in the s7 you have shown then screen and digitizer need to be replaced unfortunately:(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would just mention that if you intend to use this phone as your daily driver, then make sure your important data is synced or backed up regularly, because a screen defect could lead to progressive failure down the line. You don't want to be in the situation where your screen suddenly fails and you can't access any of your important data!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781