What can I do? I got hacked.

Ndyamuhaki

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
I recently downloaded an apk from some telegram channel claiming that it gave free data but as soon as I installed it, the phone froze for sometime and SMS texts were sending to my contacts without me knowing about it. All my photos and videos were gone. I was hacked!
How can I stop any further access to my phone from the hacker?

Last edited:

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I recently downloaded an apk from some telegram channel claiming that it gave free data but as soon as I installed it, the phone froze for sometime and SMS texts were sending to my contacts without me knowing about it. All my photos and videos were gone. I was hacked!
How can I stop any further access to my phone from the hacker?
I'm afraid you'll have to do a factory reset. I think you learned a valuable lesson.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with a factory reset, but I would also change all of your passwords. Preferably do this from another trusted device. If that isn't possible, do it only after the reset. Chances are this is just spamming and not harvesting your passwords, but I wouldn't take any chances. It should go without saying, but never download apk's from random sources like this in the future. Stick with the Google Play store if at all possible.

And congrats may be in order for being one of the only "I've been hacked" threads that have any real validity. They are usually people misunderstanding how Android works.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with a factory reset, but I would also change all of your passwords. Preferably do this from another trusted device. If that isn't possible, do it only after the reset. Chances are this is just spamming and not harvesting your passwords, but I wouldn't take any chances. It should go without saying, but never download apk's from random sources like this in the future. Stick with the Google Play store if at all possible.

And congrats may be in order for being one of the only "I've been hacked" threads that have any real validity. They are usually people misunderstanding how Android works.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Good point, although if you look hard enough, there are a FEW decent apps that are legitimately free, like Total Commander.:)
True. There are plenty quality free apps out there. But I was thinking of what the OP said the app was said to provide - free data.

What kind of free data?

That sent up a red flag immediately in my mind. That's one of those things you read up on first.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
True. There are plenty quality free apps out there. But I was thinking of what the OP said the app was said to provide - free data.

What kind of free data?

That sent up a red flag immediately in my mind. That's one of those things you read up on first.

Oh yeah, most definitely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana