Badges not working after a clean up

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I had badges showing on the phone that were getting too large to keep up with. IE: my YouTube was showing me I had 220 unread vids to watch!

So I got right in there and turned the offending badges off, figuring it would reset them to '0' and start over. Well that may not have been the best idea, now I get NO badges from any site! <sigh>

How do I restart the badges from YT or any other app? NB: I never started the original badge from YT or Google or any of them, they just started to appear!

Next time I won't be so heavy handed and just let the badges alone no matter how big they get.

thanks 25544

B Diddy,

I am using a stock A01 with all OEM software no special launcher Sorry I should have included all that in the OP.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone? Are you using the stock launcher, or a 3rd party launcher?

Instead of turning off all badges, I would recommend turning off the specific notifications for YouTube that you don't need.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I'd like to be selective in what I enable but to be honest, I am not sure how to even enable one let alone 2 more. Are the badges related to channels I am subscribed to in YT?

I am subscribed to 20 YT channels but I only ever saw a badge for 4 of them.

Regards 25544

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Was able to find the settings right where you said they'd be...( of course :) ) everything was enabled even YT and yet not one notification has arrived,,, yet when I go to the site there are many new vids in the list> I
always thought that when a new one was posted I'd get a badge to let me take a look. but all I am getting badges for is weather and texts.

Thanks a lot!

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Think I used the option for that app ( You tube) it was ona page with all the other apps in a long list format. I did toggle it ON and OFF.

Read somewhere to do that if you are having trouble... now ALL the apps have permission to get notifications and in the list there are none that are disabled.

I get badges for WX EMAIL and one other, but not YT, which IS enabled. Maybe I am mistaken on how a badge or notification is supposed to work, as I said b 4 . I thought when there was a new video in YT in a channel I subscribe to, it would generate a notification and hence a badge.

Tnx 25544

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Ok, tap the Notifications option, and show us all of the various notification categories you see.

IMG_1807.jpg

2 Apps off screen Gmail & Maps all with permission. :cool:

Frustratin' ain't it? Especially since it DID work, the badge number was in the 200's and I simply wanted to have it start over from 0. Seems I read something about chaps having fits getting it to work once it was shut off and restarted; Of course I have no idea where that article is now! Either that or getting badges shut OFF was the issue.

Last edited:

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 340776

2 Apps off screen Gmail & Maps all with permission. :cool:

Frustratin' ain't it? Especially since it DID work, the badge number was in the 200's and I simply wanted to have it start over from 0. Seems I read something about chaps having fits getting it to work once it was shut off and restarted; Of course I have no idea where that article is now! Either that or getting badges shut OFF was the issue.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Here's the screen SETTINGS | APPS | YouTube | NOTIFICATIONS

IMG_1815.jpgIMG_1817.jpg

Looks like badges are enabled........

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, all those settings look correct. Try going to Settings>Apps, select One UI Home, then clear its cache and Force Stop it. Then go back to the homescreen (the launcher should automatically restart). If that doesn't help, you could also consider clearing the storage/data for One UI Home, but this will wipe your homescreens, so you'd have to set them up again.

Another thing to try is to clear the app cache/data for the BadgeProvider system app. You have to select the option to Show System Apps in the Settings>Apps​ menu to find it.

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, all those settings look correct. Try going to Settings>Apps, select One UI Home, then clear its cache and Force Stop it. Then go back to the homescreen (the launcher should automatically restart). If that doesn't help, you could also consider clearing the storage/data for One UI Home, but this will wipe your homescreens, so you'd have to set them up again.

Another thing to try is to clear the app cache/data for the BadgeProvider system app. You have to select the option to Show System Apps in the Settings>Apps​ menu to find it.

Diddy,
No joy yet but I did find this posting, sounds similar to my troubles:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5...dges-that-go-away-after-clearing/td-p/1511865

Has a familiar ring to it doesn't it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I didn't read through the entire thread, but what they're referring to is that if you dismiss notifications, those particular notifications will no longer show up as a badge -- but if you got newer notifications (i.e., after you dismissed the previous notifications), those should show up as a badge. You're saying you don't even get the new notifications as a badge any more, right?

25544 Norad

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
HiYa Mustang7757, & B Diddy

I did as you suggested and 'no joy' so far. But I did notice that if I open YT and look at the bottom of the screen there is one called SUBSCRIPTIONS.

I DO get a badge, albeit a small one. Clicking it opens not one channel but many at the same time, all different and new. I remember that in trying to get the badge on the YT app icon to work, I clicked on one that wanted to show me a group of channels that had activity in them. Plus, if I could adjust the time of day these sites would be shown to me. I DID NOT make any time changes not do I remember where I found that subscription app. I think it's called Subscription Digest....

I also noticed that on my Tab 4, which is set to have badges on YT as my phone..... after days of non use, there is not ONE badge on the YT app on the Tab 4. there were others that had badges but not YT. Seems odd that initially there was a badge that had a number of over 200 on the badge, hence I thought it needed cleaning but I ca't tell you what I did to 'clean' it

OFF TOPIC but today my phone and my wife's started downloading updates for the English language saying " waiting for network connection'. I got rid of it and then it returned on her device even tho' it was marked DO NOT AUTO D/L updates! lol

Regards 25544

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance