Why does the screen change/turn a vivid colour when watching a video in landscape?

SteveHulkUK

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi - I have a Huawei Mate 20 X, which I love... except I've noticed whenever I watch a fullscreen video in landscape, the screen ALWAYS adds or turns to a more vivid-like colour. Is this a common thing with android (or Huawei) phones - and can I stop it from happening? Thanks

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a Huawei phone to test, but I know Samsung phones have a video enhancer.

There's probably something similar on a Huawei phone that you can turn off in settings... Can't tell you exactly where that setting would be but it's probably under display. Or additional advanced features...

SteveHulkUK

Mar 11, 2020
Visit site
I've discovered it seems to be an issue with the VLC player - anything I play with it (portrait or landscape) goes a slightly vivid colour, as soon as the User Interface has gone (...it's fine while the UI is on!?). Anyway, I've deleted VLC and am using the player that came with the Gallery app and everything's fine.

I still get the "vivid" thing happening with YouTube videos on landscape 🤷 ...I guess I can live with that though(!).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I made you the owner of the original guest post to make it easier for you to find.

I'm glad you found the culprit -- this may be helpful for other users facing the same issue!