Can you buy phones overseas and have them work in australia.

A

AC Question

Excuse my ignorance but I have never really researched this question. I would like to add the ne lg g3 to my collection alongside my m8 but I would like to pay the lesser money for an overseas phone. From hong kong at the moment you can buy the 32gb model 3gb ram lgg3 for $699. When the phone launches in Australia it will be the 2gb version with 16gb storage so the phone from hong kong is the better option.

My question is - will the phone work in Australia? If so what do I need to look for. Other than warranty issues are there any other reasons people do not buy phones from overseas?

Also as a side question - why do all phones that come in Australia always have the lower specs/options for example you can only buy the HTC one m8 in 16gb (32gb is unavailable unless you buy from overseas stock online) the same goes for the S5 and the lg g3. Why don't we get all the options???

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance but I have never really researched this question. I would like to add the ne lg g3 to my collection alongside my m8 but I would like to pay the lesser money for an overseas phone. From hong kong at the moment you can buy the 32gb model 3gb ram lgg3 for $699. When the phone launches in Australia it will be the 2gb version with 16gb storage so the phone from hong kong is the better option.

My question is - will the phone work in Australia? If so what do I need to look for. Other than warranty issues are there any other reasons people do not buy phones from overseas?

Also as a side question - why do all phones that come in Australia always have the lower specs/options for example you can only buy the HTC one m8 in 16gb (32gb is unavailable unless you buy from overseas stock online) the same goes for the S5 and the lg g3. Why don't we get all the options???

Well, yes it is possible you can buy a phone overseas and it can be operated outside the region.. but yes what its going to need is unlocking ! I am sure that you are aware that US or UK or....... mobile operators works on different bandwidth ! Means if you purchase a phone from US and take it to some other region then it will not work as it is set to work on different bandwidth and in here operators don't work over .... !! So, you are going to require an unlock which can be done either by walking to the customer support or sometimes they will share you the unlock code just by giving them a call. And sometimes you ........ !! :confused: