How do I get the Google Search app to open all links in the current tab of the Google Chrome app?

mikeyangelo31

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I frequently use the Google Search app to search the internet quickly for various things. Currently, Google Chrome is my default browser. Whenever I click on a link within the Google Search app, the link is opened in a new tab in Google Chrome. Since I often use the Google Search app 10+ times each day, at the end of the day I have 10+ tabs open in Google Chrome. I rarely need to keep more than one tab open, so I would like all links to open in the current tab. That way, there will never be more than one tab open unless I specifically open additional tabs.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this? I believe I've searched through all the settings in both the Google Search app and in Google Chrome, but I don't see anything pertaining to this issue.

Oh, and I'm using an HTC One M8 running Android 4.4.2.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not aware of a way around that, but have you considered doing your searches in Chrome itself (in the URL bar), rather than Google Search? Do you prefer the Google Search app's ability to search multiple areas (not just the web)?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is a way to do that, at least not on Mobile that I can see. When you are finished with a page use the back button to exit instead of home or recent, that should close the window.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mikeyangelo31

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The only real reason I use the Google Earth app instead of Chrome itself is simply because there is a built in shortcut to the Google Search app via sliding up on the home button. Also, saying "Ok, Google" to activate voice search automatically uses the Google Search app and I like that functionality.

Posted via Android Central App