Different Hangouts on Desktop and phone

Bill Brinson

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I have 18 hangouts on my Nexus 5, but only two show up on my desktop in my Google+ / gmail accounts. Is there some secret setting that I am missing? The two that show on my desktop might have been created by the other party in the hangout.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you using Hangouts on your phone for texting as well? The app on your phone will show both texts and Hangouts instant messages, but the version on the computer won't show the SMS texts.

Bill Brinson

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I thought I already replied, but I don't see it. Sorry if this is redundant.
IM but not SMS on my desktop, both on the phone. That explains it. Is Google going to include SMS on the desktop in the future?
Thanks for the clarification.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would guess that including SMS on the desktop interface would be tricky. Maybe it could show the prior SMS messages, but you wouldn't be able to send an SMS message, since it would have to be associated with the phone's cell signal.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I really wish they'd incorporate Google Voice integration....when I had an integrated GV account on my Sprint phone I could text from MY number (not a made up GV one), I could send from my desktop and it'd come thru as a text and I could text over wifi only.....miss that so much.