Download icon remains in status bar, normal?

E

exlen

Hello all,
Android newbie here, making the switch fro. m iphone, have a Zenfone 5 running Android 4.3.
I've downloaded some apps from play store, and now the download icon remains in the left side of status bar--it is showing as 'stopped', not 'active--but I don't believe that was present in the previous days, or if it was I didnt really take notice, being new at this.
Searching the forums I saw one thread about this issue, and yes, I can get into the Downloads Manager and force quit which removed the icon. But as soon as I download another app, two download icons appear--one active, the other stationary--and after the download is complete the active one leaves but the stationary one remains. Even after a restart hi is still there.
Is this normal? Seems like it will be a drag to continuously get into Apps Download Manager to fiddle around and get it off...or is something not quite right that I should address?
Anyway. I'm having some fun learning about this stuff and thanks for any help.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Did you also Clear Cache in that app?

Also, it may be worth wiping the Cache Partition in Recovery.

Welcome to the world of the little green guy!

Posted via Android Central App

ex len

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Yes, hit the 'clear cache' in Download Manager causes the download icon to disappear from the status bar, but just temporarily. If another app is downloaded, the two download icons as described above appear and after download is complete the 'pulsating' one leaves but the stationary one remains. Clear the DM cache again, it goes.
But then turn off phone and when it is turned back on the stationary download icon is back in the status bar!
As for Restore Cache, I don't know where that would blooked around but could not find anything. There was something I found about backup and restore but it did not have a cache that I could clear.
Whew...have I messed something up somehow? Or that icon just stays there permanently?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
If you mean Factory Reset, that seems drastic to me for such a minor glitch. All data not backed up is lost.
A Cache Partition wipe may be worth considering. I haven't, after a brief search, been able to find instructions online, that are in English. Hungarian yes, Vietnamese yes. Let's go with the latter because the auto-translate seemed a little clearer to me:

http://m.thegioididong.com/tin-tuc/cach-vao-che-do-recovery-tren-hau-het-may-android-558058

Posted via Android Central App

ex len

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for getting back, but guess what? The icon is now gone, which is good. I powered off last night, after clearing data and cache in DM, with the stationary DL icon getting off the status bar, and this AM it didn't show after I powered on. Furthermore, I dl'd another app and after that was complete the single icon that appeared during the download left the status bar.
So for now all looks good.
Thanks for helping out, I imagine I'll be finding info in the forums to help me through making the big switch from iPhone to Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays